Computer terms in Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
mariek
Global Moderator

Computer terms in Latin

Post by mariek »

I'm amused. I just received Conversation Latin for Oral Proficiency by John C. Traupman, which had been recommended by others on this site. I was flipping through it and discovered Appendix V: Computer Terms! This is so cool! Three pages of computer terms. Here are some words on the list:

computatrum, ordinatrum (computer)
compulatrulum portabile (laptop)
compactus discus opticus (CDROM)
ex rete prehendere (download)
pagina domestica (home page)
partes programmationis (software)
plagiarius electronicus, effractarius electronicus (hacker)
Tela Totius Terrae (WWW) :)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I've seen that book online several times and have wondered if it's any good. do you recommend it?

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re: Computer terms in Latin

Post by benissimus »

Hahaha... those are good. "Pagina domestica" - domestic page haha... ex rete prehendere - to sieze from the "net"
mariek wrote:

computatrum, ordinatrum (computer)
compulatrulum portabile (laptop)
compactus discus opticus (CDROM)
ex rete prehendere (download)
pagina domestica (home page)
partes programmationis (software)
plagiarius electronicus, effractarius electronicus (hacker)
Tela Totius Terrae (WWW) :)

flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

klewlis wrote:I've seen that book online several times and have wondered if it's any good. do you recommend it?

I discovered this book when Magistra recommended it in this message, viewtopic.php?p=1311&highlight=conversa ... latin#1311.

Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency: Phrase Book and Dictionary, 3rd Edition, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 43-4340909

But you can't see sample pages from this 3rd edition. You have to go to the page for the 2nd Edition for sample pages, here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 43-4340909

Here are the topics covered in the chapters: Greetings; Family; House and Furniture; Daily Activities; Sports and Other Leisure Activities; The Human Body; Health and Physical Fitness; Food and Drink; Days, Weeks, Months, Years; Expressions of Time; Useful Colloquial Expressions; Clothing and Jewelry; School; Buying and Selling; The Weather; Animals; Emotions and Qualities; Trades and Professions; The City and Public Buildings; Government; War and Peace; Law and Criminal Justice; Geography and Topography; Transportation; Grammar.

Appendices: Yes and No in Latin; Colors; Numbers; Proverbs and Sayings; Computer Terms

There's also a General Vocabulary at the end of the book.

What I like about the book is how the dialogues are divided into three levels. Level 1 is the eaiest, Level 3 is more advanced. So you can start out by going through all the chapters in any order and reading the Level 1 sections. Then later go back and do the Level 2 sections, and then save the Level 3 sections for last.

Another thing I like about the book is how they have an extensive vocabulary list at the end of each chapter which relate to the chapter's topic.

Do you remember a while back when I posted a question about phrasing an "out of office" message in my email application? I was trying to clear up the issue on phrasing the date in Latin. Well, I discovered that my questions are answered in this book. I was flipping through the book yesterday and stumbled upon pages 76 & 77. It explains very clearly how they counted the days back from Kalendae, Nanae, and Idus. It gives you samples of how you'd phrase the date. Page 77 shows a chart for all the days of the month, for every month, including leap year. This is so cool!

Can you tell I really like this book? :) I bought the 3rd Edition version ($29). The 2nd Edition version is still in print, and is slightly cheaper ($21).

tadwelessar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by tadwelessar »

The best book for new words in Latin, however, is the "Lexicon Recentis Latinitatis" made by the Vatican; with all the new words.
Es. UFO (Unidentified Flying Object)
=
RIV (Res Inexplicatae Volantes)

Unfortunately I couldn't buy a copy of that dictionary (sold out!) but the new edition will be completed in 2005.