New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
vernus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Post by vernus »

Hi everybody!!

I'm 3rd year medical student from thailand, I decide to learn latin to support my understanding of word in medical study, so I google and found this site.
thx for your kind of sharing a knowledge which it's hard to found in thailand.( I mean Latin knowledge)

LaurentiusH
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LaurentiusH »

Salvete,

I'm Laurentius, learned latin for 4 years (or was it three?) in high school, a long time ago. Have always been interested in latin literature ever since but haven't practiced my latin for almost 30 years. I stumbled across Oerberg's Lingua Latina 1 year ago and liked it. I started studying latin again and I'm having fun.

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

Welcome, Vernus!

Have you seen this yet? http://latinformedicalstudents.mypodcast.com/index.html

It might be of interest to you.

Seán
nothing should arouse more suspicion than a cross-party consensus - Antidemocritus fl. 2010

dking
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dking »

Hi, I am trying to learn Ancient Greek on my own. My main motivation is to learn to read the New Testament, and I've gone through Mounce's BBG. I still can't read my GNT, and I'm starting to work through Pharr's Homeric Greek in order to start over without doing the exact same thing twice. I know it's a jump from Koine to Homer, but it's not as big of a jump as I've already made, and I think the teaching method will work better for me.

I'm in my 50's and before now, I always thought learning a new language was beyond me. Even though I'm frustrated, I am enjoying working on Greek.

nikadoll
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nikadoll »

Hi!

I'm a college senior studying psychology and philosophy, and I'm trying to learn Ancient Greek and Latin on my own. I've dabbled in teaching myself basics in a few different languages (and have had four years of Spanish in college), and I enjoy the challenge of it. Latin has always been of interest to me, and Ancient Greek has come to be more so since I found my fascination with ancient philosophy a year or so ago. I'm hoping this site will be helpful for me.

cambusken
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cambusken »

Hallo - just scrambled my way through a Teach Yourself Greek book, so I now know what they mean when they say the Greeks had a word for it. They did! Then they declined it! (and added voices and aspects when they could not do that). Anyway, I now know a little about Greek and would like to progress to knowing, at least a little, Greek (the language I mean, you ever vigilant spammers). The resources you put online look just dandy, so I am going to have a go. Perhaps somewhere along the line I shall be able to type a hard breathing - I have followed all the instructions, but whether it is because I'm a Brit, using the royal keyboard, or just not pressing hard enough, the hard breathings never seem to come. Hope to get some help on that score. Seriously, I am much impressed by the flexibilities of the Greek language - all those participles, my God, declined and voiced for style and precision. Then those sly little particles!. I want some of that! Thanks again for the effort you have put in to providing these excellent resources.

mrwilburforce
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mrwilburforce »

Hi All,
I am 65 and just recently, in the last two years, have discovered how strategic and truly important the classical languages are. The way I made this discovery was my interest in the KJV Bible. I don't consider myself a religious nut, but I did want to take a look at the original languages they were translating into english and other languages. I discovered there are many ways to arrive at a meaning, when translating, and often it boils down to one's subjective best guess. This was not good enough for me, as I didn't want someone else doing my guessing for me.

In addition, the contribution of classical learning to our western form of civilization is inestimable; and one cannot truly understand the moral underpinnings, and rational development of science and philosophy, in europe and the english speaking countries, and actually of the entire world, without an appreciation of Greek and Latin.

I am truly looking forward to participating in this Forum; but just hoping this participation doesn't expose to much my beginner's status in those languages, though it probably will.

lmaustin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by lmaustin »

I have been working my way alone through Wheelock's Latin for a couple of years. I'm on Chapter 35 and, needless to say, I need some company and advice, especially on translating the dumbed-down passages from Martial, etc. (I've never seen an answer key to Wheelock although supposedly one exists). I plan to go through recent posts first and post my own questions here. I am also interested in other texts to supplement Wheelock.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

lmaustin wrote:especially on translating the dumbed-down passages from Martial, etc.
The Martial passages are not dumbed down. As far as I know, every single quotation from Martial in Wheelock is verbatim. (Remember, when they put the asterisk before the author's name, that means the quote was unaltered.)

I'm surprised you're having trouble with him, though. I find Martial much easier to read than, say, Catullus, or really any other Latin poet I know of.

And yes, there is an answer key, though unfortunately we can't post a link to it on this forum because Harper Collins and LaFleur had to be spoilsports, since it's also used as a high school/college text. Frankly I think that situation (where people freely trade the answer key) is entirely their fault because you don't expect a book you buy at Barnes & Noble to need an answer key in the first place, but oh well.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

PJW
Textkit Neophyte

Post by PJW »

Hello All.

I used to study Latin at school (albeit a few years ago now) and have a few queries for the experts!

P.S. My name is Phil.

mariabuffay
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mariabuffay »

Hi, I'm a Chinese university student, majored in western classical antiquity. As you know, in Chine, we don't have any Latin or Antient Greek courses in high school, so it is quite difficult for my future study in classical antiquity. And I realized that the first big problem was antient languages. Next semester I will begin to have these language courses, however,I 'd like to learn something in advance, so I registered here, to learn and to make some friends.

laschuk
Textkit Neophyte

Post by laschuk »

χαίρετε πάντες,

My name is Eduardo, i'm from Porto Alegre, Brazil. Even though my job is in the field of chemistry, i also study and teach classical greek in a small group. I'm very interested in poetry, literature, ancient science and mathematics, and philosophy.

I have been enjoying textkit for a long time, but had never joined the forum. I'm really looking forward to discussing certain matters on ancient pronunciation and poetry recitation.

Thank you!

Meep
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Meep »

Hello everyone.

For years I've wanted to take up Latin again. I first started at school where we did the 'Cambridge Latin Course.' I really enjoyed it, was quite a good series though I think it lacks on the grammar side a bit.

I haven't studied latin for 12/13 years now, so I hope to start from scratch again. Not sure whether to use Wheelock or D'ooge. Any suggestions?

thedaffodilfish
Textkit Neophyte

Post by thedaffodilfish »

Hiya

I'm Stephen, I live in Scotland, I spent a year learing Latin in high school (a long time ago now!) and I just fancy learning as something to do - keep my mind active.

I picked up a copy of So You Really Want to Learn Latin? in second hand book shop, and have also downloaded a copy of Collar and Daniell's First Year Latin, so hope to be making progress in due course.

This website looks like an excellent resource and I'm looking forward to learning and contributing where I can.

Regards
Stephen

benjamin42
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Introduction thread (New Users Post Here!)

Post by benjamin42 »

Hello, I got interested in Latin when I studied the roots of thousands of English words because most of the English language is derived from Greek or Roman. Therefore, I determined to step into the origin of English language.
I anticipate your helps in the forum. :D
Thank you!

Benjamin Zhang

msresolute
Textkit Neophyte

Post by msresolute »

Hello

I teach English Language. Learning Latin is something that I have wanted to do for a few years so I intend to start now! :) :)

squirrel
Textkit Neophyte

Post by squirrel »

Hello-

Started latin in college, but after a promotion at my job, I had a heck of a lot less time in which to finish the course, so here I am, dragging myself through Wheelock with a few other sources to supplement. Yippee! My brain hurts, but it's all good.

Bellator Dei
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bellator Dei »

Hello everybody;
I'm very interested in ancient languages like Greek and Latin.
They have always fascinated me.
English is not my native tongue, just for the record, but I can easily get by, therefore I'd like to have the same command of Latin and Greek.
Thank you very much for this amazing opportunity to fulfil that goal.
Valete Fratres!!!

:)

bjvanuden@gmail.com
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bjvanuden@gmail.com »

Hey! Glad to find a community of like-minded people.

I home now after getting my undergraduate degree at St. John's College. (Quite lonely, to tell the truth. Books are my sole but ever faithful comfort). I've read quite a bit of Plato, some Homer, and a tragedy or two. I'm trying to get comfortable reading prose more quickly and for longer lengths of time.

In Latin, I'm much further behind. I've only just finished M&F's text. I've got a copy of Virgil, but with just a dictionary the going is a still a little rough. Perhaps after the "Second Year Latin Course" on Textkit? Or will I still want to nab a copy of Pharr's Aeneid? Or is it better to go through Caesar's Commentaries first?

I'm also looking for advice about graduate school. I think I want to go eventually, after I try my hand at teaching for a bit. In Ancient Philosophy, if possible. So I'd love to hear if anyone's got advice or tips about that ( language requirements, schools, faculty, application process, etc).

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

I took three years of κοινή Greek in an undergrad Bible college in Missouri. There I also took two years of biblical Hebrew (עברית). Now, around 10 years later, my Hebrew is fluent (I live in Israel), but my Greek has suffered from neglect. My desire on Textkit is to finally complete a study (I'm working on Athenaze, Greek to GCSE and now also Complete Ancient Greek: Teach Yourself) with the goal of being able to read Plato's work in the beginning and eventually to have a strong enough base of vocab and grasp of grammar to tackle Attic texts in general.

It would be nice to do what Mark Lightman does, learning to use Attic or Koine to some degree conversationally either in written or in spoken form. That will be a goal after I've refreshed my grammar and have started to rebuild the broken down vocabulary bridges. (By the way, I can still read much of the NT without a dictionary. At least I practiced that a lot while I was in college!)

ἔρρωσο,
Ἰάσων (Jason)

David.W
Textkit Neophyte

Post by David.W »

Hi, I'm David from China and I'm currently a senior student with a major in Modern Greek. Actually, I made a mistake when I chose the undergraduate major....
Anyway, I'm into Greek history and I plan to apply for a MA in Ancient History. With that idea I began to learn ancient Greek 2 days ago, from the First Greek Book. Many thanks to Textkit for providing such a great forum and resources!

PaulSmecker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by PaulSmecker »

Hey I'm new to this forum and I'm a sophomore in college taking a third semester of Latin. I have recently gained an interest in learning this language so I thought this forum would be a good start. Seems like this is already a very strong community and I look forward to adding to it.
-Paul

Josh1989
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Josh1989 »

Hi I'm Josh. Sorry, I came straight online and started asking things before I'd read the rules and posted here. Oops sorry. Anyway I'm doing a Latin module at uni this term and truth be told I'm awful at it so I'll feel alot better having an internet lifeline rather than just pouring over Ovid unaided. Thanks in advance guys.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Josh1989 wrote:Hi I'm Josh. Sorry, I came straight online and started asking things before I'd read the rules and posted here. Oops sorry. Anyway I'm doing a Latin module at uni this term and truth be told I'm awful at it so I'll feel alot better having an internet lifeline rather than just pouring over Ovid unaided. Thanks in advance guys.
Welcome aboard, Josh! Sorry I won't be able to help you with Ovid, but I hope you enjoy the forum either way. It's been kinda slow (at least on the Greek side) lately, but maybe the Latin side's a little more lively. My Latin's really rusty, so I can't give any kind of assistance. If you're ever up for Greek, that's where I'll be hiding away!

Good luck!

Jason

punky
Textkit Neophyte

Post by punky »

HEY EVERYONE!! so i guess this is my chance to tell you all a little bit about me :) my name is punky Im 17 years old living in selah. I graduated from high school last spring and im kinda lost with what to do for the rest of my life. I am very smart and have a lot of interests, one of them being languages. I'v always wanted to learn latin and this time i feel serious and dedicated. (i've tried a few times before but bad programs were all i ever found). soo if u just wanna talk let me know, im happy to listen to any advice or just make new friends. thank you for your time, good health and luck to everyone <3

gabbyhon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gabbyhon »

I've been studying Greek off and on since 2000 and Latin since 2003, but never for credit -- until now. I just signed up for a Latin 101 course via the University of Alaska distance learning. Very excited!

And if I could please encourage someone to approve my response in the Learning Greek forum to the man looking for Crosby & Schaeffer answers -- I found some resources for him as well as offering my own help.

mohit
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mohit »

Hello,
I am a new member. I have started to study latin by using D'ooge's book. I use english as third language so there may be many mistakes.I am Indian and studying latin seeing it similer to sanskrit and familier roman script.
Which is the best book for greek on this site to learn greek like d'ooge for latin?
Which language is more useful to learn grrk or latin?
gururbramha gururvishnuhu gururdevo maheshvaraha
guruhu sakshat parahbrahma tasmai shrigurave namaha

bethpacheco
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bethpacheco »

I am a new user, I studied a little Latin at college and I want to go on studying. I am Brazilian and work as a translator. It is nice to have this forum.

edufdezb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by edufdezb »

Hi All I am edufdezb, writing from France, where long ago I studied philosophy and now I would like to learn especially Greek to be able to read really the stuff.Thanks for organizing all this, quite impressive seen from former Lutetia.

calcapp
Textkit Neophyte

Post by calcapp »

"Hi", I am a late learner . . . attained a BA in "Biblical Studies" a few years back at age 50. At present I am very much interested in classical history. As a result of getting started on a faulty foundation I had to drop Koine Grk in University. I am now considering (with some trepidation) attempting Grk. once again. Or my other interest is Latin.
Is it preferable to learn one language before the other? Is one generally easier than the other? And what is the differance from ancient, kone, classical, and contemporary Grk.?

edufdezb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by edufdezb »

I am a littel confused about what shall be done to have a second post approved, should it be also on this thread?

nor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nor »

Hi,
At Smyth 1328 in the kholos uios example, I have two questions: 1) where is the genitive? and what is O 138. 2) what abbreviation is O? for it does not seem to be X.O., which is without a simple 138.
Last edited by nor on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

joakimcrispin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by joakimcrispin »

Hey. I'm a high school sophomore taking Latin III. I'm pretty happy with how my Latin education is going, but I'm interested in learning a little bit of Ancient Greek.

Iason Secutor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Iason Secutor »

Last edited by Iason Secutor on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mredwin3
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mredwin3 »

I'm Meghan and I'm a college sophomore. I'm taking a lot of other classes besides Latin, so I'm continuing to learn it on my own time. I'm not very great or fast at translating at the moment, but I hope to be eventually. :)

Mebaqqer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mebaqqer »

Hello,

My intro... I major in religious studies and sometimes come across things in Greek or Latin that I have to know but am not able to fully understand. I would like to learn at least Greek, but it is not offered where I attend school. As such, I have mostly been just playing around on my own and thus need to check my results with others.

Mebaqqer

maximus1212
Textkit Neophyte

Post by maximus1212 »

Hello, everyone. I'm currently finishing my first run through Wheelock. I have studied 1st c (AD) Greek as well, and hope to be highly adept with Ecclesiastical Latin and Greek within the next few years. It's a tall task, and I can use all of the help that I can find! I've referred to this board a few times when I have been unclear on certain issues (I am studying Latin independently) and I thought that I should go ahead and join.

A few more facts...I have a wonderful wife, three great kids, and I'm currently in my second Master's program as I'm preparing to apply for doctoral work in history focusing on 3rd-4th century Roman North Africa (particularly Augustine of Hippo).

Cheers!

fmplautus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fmplautus »

I am a new member. I've spent quite a bit of time in Italy, and I would like to learn Latin. I have studied both French and Italian. I am a teacher by profession, and 57 years old. I am Irish/American -- a citizen of both countries. I have no real idea where to begin my studies, since I have no background in Latin study other than my faraway days as an alter boy.

Kevin

Parsifal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Parsifal »

Greetings to all,

My name is Nathan, and am evidently interested in learning both the Greek and Latin language. I am an absolute beginner who has neither an understanding of the clear methodical approach that is needed to learn the classical languages nor do I have a general idea as to where I must begin - hence with any luck ... someone on this forum may be kind enough to point me in the right direction in regards to "learning the basics" in step-by-step manner?

I shall be attending my regional University mid next year to thus further my study of the classical languages. However, I wish to be first and foremost acquainted with the languages and am thus searching for help on this forum - I am sure there are many of you here on this forum whom have quite an extensive knowledge of the classical languages, so I am relying on you.

Whatever help any fellow forum-dweller can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerest regards,
Nathan

briannacollins
Textkit Neophyte

Deus ex machina.

Post by briannacollins »

Hey there everyone!
My name is Brianna, and I live in Alberta, Canada. I just graduated high school, and I am fluent in French, reasonably proficient in Spanish, and passable in American Sign Language. Language is my passion, and I have hopes of one day being a broadcast radio journalist.

I'm here to learn Latin, which has always fascinated me. Finding this site with other people doing the same thing and supporting each other has kicked me into gear about this. It's time to actually buckle down and learn it.