best way to study

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
coffee
Textkit Neophyte

best way to study

Post by coffee »

I have the Wheelock's text, workbook and Grote comprehension book and would like to know the best way to approach all these. Should I read the Wheelock's chapter one day, listen to audio vocabulary online, then read Grote's another day, then do the workbook or is better to do some of each everyday. Thanks

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: best way to study

Post by modus.irrealis »

I'm guessing nobody has that combination of books, but from what I can tell the workbook and the Grote book are support books. I'd recommend doing Wheelock consistently (every day e.g.) and then using the other two when you need clarification or for review (I found that forcing myself to do quick reviews regularly with Wheelock was very useful). I'm sure though that both the other books explain what the best way to use them is in the front matter.

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

modus.irrealis wrote:I'm guessing nobody has that combination of books, but from what I can tell the workbook and the Grote book are support books. I'd recommend doing Wheelock consistently (every day e.g.) and then using the other two when you need clarification or for review (I found that forcing myself to do quick reviews regularly with Wheelock was very useful). I'm sure though that both the other books explain what the best way to use them is in the front matter.
I have the books and use them as follows:
Read Wheelocks then read Grote then go back to Wheelocks & add notes in the appropriate places where clarification is needed. I would never make it through Wheelocks if it weren't for Grote.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by dlb on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

TonyLoco23
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TonyLoco23 »

I only have the Wheelock's book, I have almost finished it (up to ch. 38). This is how I would recommend tackling the wheelock's book.

1) Go through each chapter one by one and try to learn all the new grammar that is introduced, also take notes on the new vocab and try to memorize at least some of it. For each chapter do the practice and review sentences and the self-test exercises in the back of the book, but hold off on translating the Sententiae Antiquae and the short passages/poems for now.

2) When you have finished step 1), go back to the beginning of the book and work on translating the sententiae antique and the short passages/poems.

The reason that I would recommend doing it this way is twofold:

a) The Sententiae Antiquae and the poems and passages are much harder than the practice and review exercises, so it's better to be pretty familiar with Latin by the time you try to tackle them.

b) If you have just read up on the new grammar in a given chapter you will already be looking for those grammatical forms if you do the Sententiae Antiquae immediately (i.e. if you have just read the chapter on participles, then you will be actively looking for the participles). But if you come back to it much later, you will not remember exactly which chapter introduced which grammar so you will be forced to think about all of the grammatical rules instead of the one you just learnt. This way it will be a more realistic test of whether or not all of the grammar has sunk in in the long run.

For example, by the time you have finished the book, it will have been ages since you learnt the first declension, so when you go back to the beginning, the sententiae antiquae will test if you still remember it.