Greek-English Phrasebook (Sprechen Sie Attisch)

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
LSorenson
Textkit Neophyte

Greek-English Phrasebook (Sprechen Sie Attisch)

Post by LSorenson »

Hello all,

I would like to get the book Sprechen Sie Attisch, by E. Joannides, 1902 (latest edition 1922), translated into English and put it into the public domain. Perhaps someone out there who knows German well (mine is very rusty) would be willing to partner over the coming year to translate this into English. I would be happy to type the Fraktur into Latin characters and the Greek into Unicode. The only thing I need is someone to translate the passages of German (early on) and the Deutch glosses into English.

The book can be found on Google Books at http://books.google.com/books?id=21oQAA ... &q&f=false. This book is the 1902 edition. There is apparently a 1922 edition, which may be the same.

This book is very helpful for those who want to learn by an active learning methodology as it is based on phrases and idioms that frequently occur in authors.

So any takers?. The book is only 80 pages long. If you are interested, send me an email off-list. I think this could easily be done in a year with little effort.

Ερρωσο,
Louis Sorenson
Last edited by LSorenson on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Translate Sprechen Sie Attisch into English?

Post by spiphany »

I started transcribing this at one point with a vague intention of doing just what you're proposing. Rather slow going, at least at the beginning, due to the necessity for constantly switching keyboards.

I'd be more than willing to help with translation, although for the "phrase-book" portion I would think knowing the German wouldn't be essential for someone with intermediate Greek knowledge, theoretically it would be possible to translate the Greek phrases directly into English.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

LSorenson
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Translate Sprechen Sie Attisch into English?

Post by LSorenson »

Hello all,

I just wanted to drop a note to everyone about the Greek Phrase book Sprechen Sie Attisch: Moderne Konversation in altgriechischer Umgansprache nach den besten attischen Autoren. By E. Joannides (Eduard Johnson). 2nd Edition, Dresden und Leipzig, 1902. Publisher: C.A. KochsVerlagsbuchhandlung (H. Ehlers). It is available for download as a pdf from Google Books or Internet Archive.

This book is a treasure trove of phrases for everyday situations. Some of the phrases may need to be compared to find if they exist in authors (the writer says they are extracted from the best Attic authors). Also, the Phrasebook is Attic, so the later Koine might be a little different.

The German is currently being translated into Greek by several people. What currently exists can be found at http://www.letsreadgreek.com/phrasebook/ . This is a collaborative effort to get it into the public Domain. Some excellent scholars and adequate co-conspirators are getting this together. But there is room for people to still translate some blocks of pages, vet the German translation (Do you know German?) and make comments on whether the phrase is only Attic. If the phrase would be different in Koine, there is a column to hold that text also.

Only pages 20-43 are translated as of now. There are typos and translation ambiguites, etc. So if you can help vet, translate, type the Greek list of words or make the page appear better (The data is being stored in an Excel file), please send me a note.

Thanks for your help and enjoy!

Louis Sorenson

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Re: Sprechen Sie Attisch - Coming in English!

Post by rustymason »

Very exciting, Dankeschoen! I have also translated a few pages of this. Would be possible to also include the original German phrases? I have the book and the PDF but the old German font drives me and meine arme alte Augen crazy.

One other request. Could you please use relative font sizes? The fixed-font on your page is incredibly tiny in my browser, and the size cannot be easily sized up using the bigger text menu item on the browser. Thanks.

LSorenson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LSorenson »

Thanks to the great effort of Carl W. Conrad Ph.D., the translation of Sprechen Sie Attisch is progressing. You can find the latest version at http://www.letsreadgreek.com/phrasebook/. Pages 20-51 are now translated. I've added a field for the Fraktur German text so that also will be digitized. If anyone wants to type in the Fraktur for the missing sections (not all have been converted to a normal modern German font) that would be grrrrrrrrrrreat.

Just a note about how Carl is translating the idioms. He is not using a word-for-word Greek-English approach but rather more of a dynamic equivalency. Nevertheless, Carl has been reading Greek for about 60+ years and is scholar in the highest sense of the term. He is fluent in both Latin and Greek. He's even caught a few of Johnson's Latinizing-Greek blunders.

Truly though, any help would be appreciated. I hope all will enjoy and utilize this great little work in their studies.

Louis

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Post by rustymason »

Louis,
I can help a bit. I sent you a PM. Let me know what page(s) you need. Glancing over the latest, I saw a funny: How much (did you pay)? Für weevil? (What did you receive in change? Wanzen?)

LSorenson
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Greek-English Phrasebook (Sprechen Sie Attisch)

Post by LSorenson »

Sections 40-50 are now translated into English and available. You can find them at http://www.letsreadgreek.com/phrasebook/

LSorenson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LSorenson »

Pages 52-66 are now translated (up through section §60.) If you find any errors let me know. The Fraktur / German needs to be entered for sections 2-30 (pp. 22-34). If anyone wants to type that up, It would be appreciated. Thanks again Carl for your effort.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Hey, I was just about to do the similar thing by myself, when I found this thread! Thanks for all your efforts put into the job!

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Louis,
I've typed the German part of sections 17 through 30. And I sent you a PM including the German part I've typed.
There were some mismatches and omissions I filled up.
I'd like to send you the work in a table form (i.e. in a spreadsheet file), but uploading an xls attachment is not allowed in this forum.

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Post by rustymason »

I sent Louis German, English, Greek, and formatting corrections all the way up through section 56 last November and again a couple of months ago but I've heard no reply from him. Hope he's OK. I'll post everything to my site in a few months if he is unable to do so at his. I will finish the John Williams White First Greek Book answer key first.

smitterle
Textkit Neophyte

Post by smitterle »

When I go to http://www.letsreadgreek.com/phrasebook/ I get a 404.
I know this is an older thread but does anybody know if there's a valid link somewhere? I understand the translation of SSA to English had advanced quite advanced.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

This is a snapshot from the Internet Archive
https://web.archive.org/web/20141018180 ... hrasebook/

Also, If I may add a plug, the a là Ørberg edition:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=68698

Update:

http://www.letsreadgreek.com/phrasebook ... sebook.pdf

smitterle
Textkit Neophyte

Post by smitterle »

Thank you. Do I assume correctly that the first link (1) gives translations until section 60 while the latter (2) is a full translation including the last missing ten sections from the first?
Has the translation effort been given up for (1)?
From comment to (2) it seems this one has additional content. Can you confirm?

Update: I just discovered (2) had a link to free online version on top in the description. So it's a Greek only complete version of Joannidis?

ἐπαινῶ

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Yes.
I guess so.
Yes.
Yes.

Sohtnirybal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sohtnirybal »

Hi everyone, nice book indeed. I want to make a course in memrise to memorize by one hand those expressions in antique greek but also in german and english, what do you think? do you already know a course like this? if so can you share it with me? finally I think If some of you want to, you can join me to make the course as collaborators, that would be awesome.

Regards,

Ángel

Sohtnirybal
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sohtnirybal »

https://www.memrise.com/course/2204032/ ... ent-greek/ I already make the course in memrise, I put the link if you are interested in. Tell me please if you find any mistake.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

bedwere wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:06 amAlso, If I may add a plug, the a là Ørberg edition:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=68698
I never got a chance to tell you, Roberto, how much I enjoyed your monolingual notes. These I read straight through independent of the text, sort of the way my kids used to eat only the marshmallows from their Lucky Charms.