AllVerbs.com

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
TonyLoco23
Textkit Neophyte

AllVerbs.com

Post by TonyLoco23 »

I have a question about the website AllVerbs.com.

http://www.allverbs.com/language.php?id=9

Sometimes when you look up a Latin verb, some of the listed conjugations come out in red text and some of them come out in blue text.

For example, if you look up the verb "eripio" you will see that the past perfect comes out in red font. Also some of the imperfect subjunctive, or as they call it "conjunctive", is displayed in blue font.

I am not sure what this means, I would contact them to ask, but there is no 'contact us' page. So I have no way of asking anyone that is behind the site.

My first guess would be that the red font indicates a tense that simply does not exist.... Perhaps "eripio" is a semi-deponent verb, so the past tense is expressed as "eruptus est" instead of "eripuit"???

As for the blue text, maybe that indicates a verb tense that would exist but there is no way that action could have meaning if expressed in that tense???????

Or maybe the red font just means that they (the site developers) have not confirmed that the listed conjugation is definately correct??

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: AllVerbs.com

Post by thesaurus »

I can't figure it out. It can't be that colored forms are impermissable, because if you look up "facio", you see lots of usable forms are red (fiat, feci) and blue (facio, faciunt), while others remain black (facit). I was going to suggest that the colors may be highlighting irregular forms, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

A frustrating website, given that they provide absolutely zero discussion of their methods, purposes, or anything.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Hampie
Textkit Member

Post by Hampie »

I think that red detonates that the stem is changed.
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?

jamesbath
Textkit Member

Post by jamesbath »

Hampie wrote:I think that red detonates that the stem is changed.
You mean it "explodes" the stem? :D
(Sorry. Just couldn't resist it.)