The C

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
aprotosimaki
Textkit Neophyte

The C

Post by aprotosimaki »

I note that some Greek text uses the character "c".<br /><br />What is "c"?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Aprotosimaki

Elucubrator
Global Moderator

Re:The C

Post by Elucubrator »

The C is the sigma. Because of its shape it is called the lunate sigma and in texts where it is used it is employed equally at the end of words and in all other positions as well.<br /><br />Sebastian

aprotosimaki
Textkit Neophyte

Post by aprotosimaki »

Sebastian,<br /><br />Thank you for the answer. Seems like "C" for a sigma is a relatively new thing. My older books do not seem to use it; however, I was in a bookstore and saw a number of examples in more recent texts. <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Aprotosimaki<br /><br /><br />

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

[quote author=aprotosimaki link=board=2;threadid=169;start=0#818 date=1055516080]<br /><br />Thank you for the answer. Seems like "C" for a sigma is a relatively new thing. My older books do not seem to use it; however, I was in a bookstore and saw a number of examples in more recent texts. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />I think it first got going in the 60s, but I think it's one of the stupidest ideas. It'd be like insisting on printing modern English editions of older English works with the thorn (þ) for 'th'. Yeah, it is sort of historical, but to use it now is an anacronism.<br /><br />We don't print Homer in unspaced, unpunctuated uncial, we use the Byzantine book hands...which did not use a lunate sigma.<br /><br />Sorry. For some reason the lunate sigma in anything but palaeography texts drives me bonkers.<br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;