Textkit Logo

The C

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

The C

Postby aprotosimaki » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:51 am

I note that some Greek text uses the character "c".<br /><br />What is "c"?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Aprotosimaki
phpbb
aprotosimaki
Textkit Neophyte

Re:The C

Postby Elucubrator » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:28 pm

The C is the sigma. Because of its shape it is called the lunate sigma and in texts where it is used it is employed equally at the end of words and in all other positions as well.<br /><br />Sebastian
Elucubrator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby aprotosimaki » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:54 pm

Sebastian,<br /><br />Thank you for the answer. Seems like "C" for a sigma is a relatively new thing. My older books do not seem to use it; however, I was in a bookstore and saw a number of examples in more recent texts. <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Aprotosimaki<br /><br /><br />
phpbb
aprotosimaki
Textkit Neophyte

Postby annis » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:10 pm

[quote author=aprotosimaki link=board=2;threadid=169;start=0#818 date=1055516080]<br /><br />Thank you for the answer. Seems like "C" for a sigma is a relatively new thing. My older books do not seem to use it; however, I was in a bookstore and saw a number of examples in more recent texts. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />I think it first got going in the 60s, but I think it's one of the stupidest ideas. It'd be like insisting on printing modern English editions of older English works with the thorn (þ) for 'th'. Yeah, it is sort of historical, but to use it now is an anacronism.<br /><br />We don't print Homer in unspaced, unpunctuated uncial, we use the Byzantine book hands...which did not use a lunate sigma.<br /><br />Sorry. For some reason the lunate sigma in anything but palaeography texts drives me bonkers.<br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek