Ch. 31 Sentences

Are you learning Latin with Wheelock's Latin 6th Edition? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback.
TonyLoco23
Textkit Neophyte

Ch. 31 Sentences

Post by TonyLoco23 »

A couple of questions about the practice and review and sententiae antiquae sentences in Chapter 31:
Nescio utrum tres coniurati maneat an in exsilium contenderint.
The official translation (by Harper Collins) of this sentence is:

"I do not know whether the three conspirators are remaining or have hastened into exile."

In which case, shouldn't "maneat" be in the third person plural (maneant) rather than singular?
Cum illum hominem esse servum novisset, eum comprehendere non dubitavit.
The official translation (by Harper Collins) of this sentence is:

"Since he had learned (he knew) [that] that man was a slave, he did not hesitate to arrest him."

What is the verb used here for to know/learn? (novisset) What would be the first person indicative so that I can look it up?

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Ch. 31 Sentences

Post by furrykef »

TonyLoco23 wrote:In which case, shouldn't "maneat" be in the third person plural (maneant) rather than singular?
Yes. Which edition of the book do you have? I have the 6th edition, and my copy does say "maneant".
TonyLoco23 wrote:What is the verb used here for to know/learn? (novisset)
Nōscō. It is, as far as I know, nothing more than a shortened form of cōgnōscō (and Wheelock's dictionary will just tell you to look up cōgnōscō instead, so look it up there ;)).
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

TonyLoco23
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TonyLoco23 »

Thank very much again furrykef.

I have the Sixth Edition Book too, and mine also does say "maneant". However, I was working from the online answer key provided by Harper Collins, and there it is written as "maneat". I don't normally read the practice sentences from the book because the answers are not provided.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

Ah. What I always did was read the sentences from the book, then the answer in the answer key. This was both so I could try to figure it out before my eyes automatically skipped to the answer, and so I could get the long vowel markings (since I was making flash cards out of the sentences).

By the way, you can use Whitaker's Words online to look up inflected words. It'll de-inflect 'em for ya and give you the right entry. That way you can easily look up words like "novisset" instead of having to ask us. :)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!