Appeal for teaching resources

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Appeal for teaching resources

Post by thesaurus »

Salvete omnes,

I've suddenly been offered a position to teach first semester Latin at my university this fall (the semester starts in a few weeks). It's quite exciting. I haven't "formally" taught Latin before, and while I'm confident in my knowledge of the language, I could use some help getting materials from fellow teachers (or including from those who have taught themselves).

I will be using Moreland and Fleischer's "Latin: An Intensive Course," which I haven't used previously. If anyone has any tips, exercises, quizzes, games, syllabi, etc. that they would be willing to share, I'm all ears! If you don't want to share specific materials here, feel free to message me.

Thanks!
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Appeal to teachers: Moreland and Fleischer resources

Post by thesaurus »

I should add that I'd love to hear any tips from any teachers, regardless of whether they use Moreland and Fleischer.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Hampie
Textkit Member

Re: Appeal for teaching resources

Post by Hampie »

http://www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/language ... helps.html

Above link has a lot of material, and a collection of 80-ish pages of verb drills (called verbal brilliance) with quantity marks (they use the circumflex). I don't know the legal status of using the material from the site in a school-situation, however, but it's worth checking out. Maybe you could get inspiration and make your own!
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?

cantator
Textkit Fan

Re: Appeal for teaching resources

Post by cantator »

Cantator's broken record plays on:

Songs, lots of songs. Songs are fun to sing, the vocabulary memorization is invaluable.

What songs ? Howzabout:

Carl Orff's Carmina Burana
The New London Consort's recordings of Medieval Latin songs
The Studio Der Fruhen Musik recordings (if you can find them)
The Elvis Presley songs by Professor Amon (ref?)

The shorter songs are where to begin. Try to get the class singing together, but don't be meticulous about musicality.

Also, bring in Medieval and neo-Latin texts, if possible. Milton, Campion, Dante, Rimbaud, all wrote excellent Latin. Again, short texts or passages are the way to go for beginners.

Make it new.
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.