Textkit Logo

Latin Reference Grammar and Lexicon

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Latin Reference Grammar and Lexicon

Postby oberon » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:56 am

I have an M.A. in classical languages but I spent most of my time on Greek, and it has been some time since I really concentrated on Latin. I have several textbooks, I have Sihler and Buck's Comparative Grammar of Latin and Greek, and I have Woodcock's New Latin Syntax. However, I am looking for THE most comprehensive Grammar and the most comprehensive lexicon of Latin in English, German, or French. Any ideas?
oberon
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Latin Reference Grammar and Lexicon

Postby Didymus » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:54 am

Grammars: Kühner-Stegmann (Ausführliche Grammatik der lateinischen Sprache, 2 parts in 3 volumes) and Leumann-Hoffmann-Szantyr (Lateinische Grammatik, 3 volumes [vol. 3 = index]) are the indispensable Latin grammars. If you are doing very serious philological work you'll need to consult both.

Lexica: The Thesaurus Linguae Latinae (TLL) is the gold standard -- unfortunately it does not meet your criterion of being written in English, French, or German (it's in Latin). With the recent completion of P (N, however, is not complete), this covers 2/3 of Latin. For what isn't covered you'll want to consult a combination of Forcellini (Totius Latinitatis Lexicon ...), Lewis and Short, and the Oxford Latin Dictionary. The German Georges may also prove useful on occasion.

Etymology (while we're at it ...): Walde-Hoffmann, Lateinisches etymologisches Wörterbuch remains a primary resource, but where Michael de Vaan's new Etymological Dictionary of Latin and the Other Italic Languages covers the word in question, it of course supersedes Walde-Hoffmann. It's just that you may very well not find the word you need in de Vaan.

Historical Grammars: Replace Sihler (a work that linguists have long loved to complain about) with Michael Weiss, Outline of the Historical and Comparative Grammar of Latin.
Didymus
Textkit Fan

Re: Latin Reference Grammar and Lexicon

Postby oberon » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks! I'll get the checkbook...
oberon
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin