Pl. Ap. 27a2

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Pl. Ap. 27a2

Post by NateD26 »

συνεπισκέψασθε δή, ὦ ἄνδρες, ᾗ μοι φαίνεται ταῦτα λέγειν.

I don't understand the relative pron. case here. The imperative means, according to LSJ,
to examine (something) with (someone). Socrates has just mentioned his impressions
of Meletus as he wrote this jester-like indictment (ἡ γραφή), so I understand why the gender is fem.

Now he asks the jury to examine with him those impressions.

How do the imperative and relative clause connect here?

Maybe it's not the fem. referring to the indictment but the dat. fem. demonstrative pron. which is used
in a sense of in this wise, in this manner. So the relative pron. here (I'm going by the 1966 translation)
is equivalent to an indirect question (πῇ/ὅπῃ) "in what way he seems to me to be saying this".
[Smyth in 346 has ᾗ for this sense, so I guess that's a correct assumption.]
Nate.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Pl. Ap. 27a2

Post by modus.irrealis »

NateD26 wrote:Maybe it's not the fem. referring to the indictment but the dat. fem. demonstrative pron. which is used
in a sense of in this wise, in this manner. So the relative pron. here (I'm going by the 1966 translation)
is equivalent to an indirect question (πῇ/ὅπῃ) "in what way he seems to me to be saying this".
[Smyth in 346 has ᾗ for this sense, so I guess that's a correct assumption.]
Right. The relatives can be used to introduce indirect questions, except when the main verb is a verb of asking and it's a "genuine" indirect question (Smyth mentions this in 2668).