Finished 1st Year of Attic: Where do I go from here?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
awaters
Textkit Neophyte

Finished 1st Year of Attic: Where do I go from here?

Post by awaters »

Hi All -

I just finished my first year of University Attic using Anne Groton's From Alpha to Omega. I feel pretty comfortable with all of the grammar presented in the book as well as the vocabulary.

What I want to know is what is the best way to go on from here? My course load is such that I may not be able to take the second year at my University, but I do want to keep learning and start plunging into real Attic texts. Should I just get a lexicon and try to trudge my way through the Anabasis or the Republic? Is there good second year text that anyone would recommend?

Thanks so much in advance!

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Finished 1st Year of Attic: Where do I go from here?

Post by modus.irrealis »

If you're up to it, I'd recommend diving in and learning the finer points as you go. I know that the Anabasis is traditionally a place where people start off, but I don't think the Republic is the best place to start off with Plato -- I'd recommend the Apology (which is the first real work that I manged to read through) or some of the earlier dialogues where everything is reported in direct speech rather than indirect speech (which at least for me took a while to get used to). But there's also the orators and their speeches are short, usually grammatically straightforward, and interesting, so I think they'd make a great place to start as well.

I'd also recommend getting an edition that has notes or even a vocabulary. I find them extremely helpful in learning (or even becoming aware of) some of the more subtle points, and things like the use of particles.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

There are three places you can go from here.

1. Work through other textbooks. Groton's is a good book, but no single primer can get into your head all the stuff you need to know about Greek. There are some books that are more deductive while others are more inductive. You need both. I would say you have to work through about ten of these books. Athenaze may be the best. Do the English to Greek exercises if you have the discipline.

2. Start reading. I agree with Modus that heavily annotated texts are the best. Check out Geoffrey Steadman's Symposium.

3. Use Ancient Greek as a Living Language. Listen to it, write it, speak it. Christophe Rico's Polis will get you started in this. Post on the Agora here at Textkit. Make a You-Tube video where you speak in Ancient Greek.

It matters less where you go than how often and with what commitment you go there.

αναγνωθι, γραφε, ακουε, λεγε. καθ' ημεραν.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Great Scott
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Great Scott »

> 1

That is a question I have often asked myself. I have just finished two years of study, getting to a pretty advanced level of University Course in Ancient Greek.

I would recommend you start off with some Lysias. The Murder of Eratosthenes is worth a translation.

I am just about to embark on The Republic by Plato. I felt that It would come down to motivation and slogging through another grammar might just put me off. Therefore, the original texts won the day. Hopefully my motivation will be fed by seeing real progress.

Gaius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gaius »

Μαρκε,

Does Rico's Polis only come in French and German? I checked out the Polis website, but did not see an English edition of the book.

Thanks,
Gaius

Gaius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gaius »

Hi Awaters,

The first Attic text I read in its entirety was Plato's Apology, which I read in my fourth semester of Greek. I was able to slog through the whole thing in an independent study I had with my professor in about 15 weeks. I am currently going through the Greek Transitional Reader series. I am reading the Homer text as an introduction to Homer before I try to read The Iliad without helps intended for the newer reader.

Best,
Zach