(Attic) Greek Perfect

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jm15xy
Textkit Neophyte

(Attic) Greek Perfect

Post by jm15xy »

I would like to know if anyone can explain to me which moods of the perfect have simple forms and which are formed periphrasitically.

For sure, the perfect indicative active, pluperfect active, perfect indicative middle-passive, pluperfect middle-passive, and perfect imperative middle-passive are formed from the fourth and fifth principal parts, but what about the perfect subjunctive active, perfect optative active, and perfect imperative active? I consult certain grammars and I find periphrases with εἶναι and the perfect participles, but other grammars with simple forms and variations of these simple forms.

I'm quite confused and I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: (Attic) Greek Perfect

Post by NateD26 »

I've checked Smyth (though I'm sure you have as well) and found that in section 599,
he summed up the cases in which the perfect periphrastic forms are used.

under c. he said that the regular forms for subj. and opt.
are very rare (both active and med-pass; see 708,710).

under g. he said that "the imperative of all voices may be expressed" periphrastically
(in 697 he noted that classical Attic writers didn't use the simple forms [of the active that is]).
He also gave an example of med-pass pf. part. with imperative of εἶναι from Plato's Laws (see 712-714).
Nate.

jm15xy
Textkit Neophyte

Re: (Attic) Greek Perfect

Post by jm15xy »

Thank you, I will read it more carefully.