A way to say 'Till Death Do Us Apart"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
yee0890
Textkit Neophyte

A way to say 'Till Death Do Us Apart"

Post by yee0890 »

1. What's a Latin sentiment of the popular phrase? I have heard of Usque ad mortem, but is there an expression closer than that?
2. Also, what is a conventional way of writing "since 1950"? *edit: is it ab 1950?*

Much gratias in advance.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: A way to say 'Till Death Do Us Apart"

Post by adrianus »

Salve yee0890
http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/Latin1662/Latin1662_Marriage.htm wrote:till death do us part = donec mors nos separaverit
Yes, "a/ab," or "post" = "since"
Ita est, "ab anno 1950"/"ab anno millesimo nongentesimo quinquagesimo"
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

scotistic
Textkit Neophyte

Re: A way to say 'Till Death Do Us Apart"

Post by scotistic »

This isn't necessarily relevant, but on the inside of my wedding ring is inscribed Ubi tu Caius, ibi ego Caia, roughly "Wherever you are, I am", from the Roman wedding ceremony. My wife gave me a ring with this inscribed in it for Christmas just a month or two after we started dating - that's when I knew she was for keeps.