Complete New Testament in MP3 Format

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
JohnC
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JohnC »

http://www.ccel.org/a/anonymous/gnt/mp3/index.html

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

8) Cool. 8)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

that's really cool...

but something about the way the woman reads really bugs me... it doesn't sound natural, and it sounds like she's always surprised. can someone who knows more about correct pronunciation give us an opinion?

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

klewlis wrote:that's really cool...

but something about the way the woman reads really bugs me... it doesn't sound natural, and it sounds like she's always surprised. can someone who knows more about correct pronunciation give us an opinion?
One thing I can mention is she pronounces aspirate consonants as spirants, and smooth stops as aspirates, as ordinary Greek textbooks written in English suggest. And it's possible that in the period the NT was written the change in pronunciation was going on, at least in the koine greek. But it's not what sounds like she's 'surprised'. It might be those stop-like silent gutterals between vowels. For example she pronounces Abraam as Abra'am with Hebrew 'aleph(or `ayn)-like sound between the two consecutive a's. That could be the correct pronunciation of the words, but it's unfamiliar in English, or also in classical Greek?
Anybody correct me. :D

P.S.
I had to edit some misuses of grammatical terms.
See Smyth 26

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

By the way, you could download all the mp3's and burn them all on a CD-R, a portable greek NT audio-book.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Try here:

http://www.greeklatinaudio.com/

sounds like read in modern greek pronunciation, baritone.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

see, that second one sounds much more natural to me, although i couldn't speak for "correctness". the second is also much more difficult to follow because it's so much smoother!

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Last night I did the CD job and it was less than 600MB. It seems to be made fit in a CD.

Listening again, the second one is definitely recited in modern pronunciation, possibly by a native Greek. You might have to practice the modern pronunciation a little to follow it.