Transcribing latin reader

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Hampie
Textkit Member

Transcribing latin reader

Post by Hampie »

Since I have so many other things I should be doing, I though «Why not spend the night transcribing books?» and so I did. I found a cute little PD reader at edonelly’s list, and begun fixing the HTML-markup some needed javascript and a beautiful CSS-style (imo!). This is what I’ve been able to do so far: http://hampie.se/latin/ The book is this one.

What do you think? The apieses are there because a) I like it more than macrons and b) because it’s very much easier to type than a macron (no need to switch keyboard layout) and c) because it can easily be replaced with macrons with a simple search-and-replace.

I’ve come to realise that book transcribing is quite meditative. It’s calming, yet one (hopefully) learns one or two things whilst doing it.
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Transcribing latin reader

Post by spiphany »

What you have looks lovely! (And waaay beyond my skills at formatting)
The first two semesters of intermediate Greek (i.e., reading courses, not grammar courses) I wrote out by hand all the assigned passages in a notebook with plenty of space around the text for my notes. I found this useful; the physical act of transcribing the text forces you to focus on it in a special way & can help it "stick", I think. And as you say there's something meditative about it...

(Perhaps we should all have been medieval monks?)
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Very nicely done, Hampie. Bravo.
Perbellè factum est, Hampie. Mactè.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

loqu
Textkit Neophyte

Post by loqu »

This is great! Thanks, Hampie !

Gregarius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gregarius »

This is very nice work. I like the layout -- I find it much easier to read longer Latin sentences on a wider screen/page, than in the very narrow layout of those old books. One friendly comment/request -- the footnotes are a bit hard to read in their small font. For longer passages, I find it distracting to scan all the way down to the bottom of a page and back again when reading the glosses/footnotes. Is it possible to arrange the glosses as side notes or perhaps tooltips?

Thanks again for your good work here.