Experiences and opinions of learning with different books

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ruffian_on_the_stair
Textkit Neophyte

Experiences and opinions of learning with different books

Post by ruffian_on_the_stair »

Hello, I'm going to learn Latin and I've been looking at the books available (both on here and others). I very much like the look of Linuga Latina as it seems to be a more engaging method - I tried to learn once before and basically fell asleep on several occasions - however I'd be grateful to hear the opinions of those who have used it and those who have used others. I'm most worried about the all-Latin aspect of Lingua Latina; I'm sure it's effective but are any other books useful to use along side it for the most thorough understanding? Thanks for any help you can give.

Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Experiences and opinions of learning with different books

Post by Smythe »

Howdy,

Besides Lingua Latina and its ancillary texts, I use four other resources for learning Latin:

1) A copy of Wheelock. Primarily for the grammatical tables in the back but also, if I need, for more detailed grammtical explanations inside.
2) Online Latin dictionary. I have seven bookmarked. I most frequently use: http://latinlexicon.org/
3) The same Textkit forums you are reading right now. The other users provide a wealth of helpful information and guidance.
4) The Oerberg mailing list. Mostly filled with Latin teachers, but a helpful group none the less: http://nxport.com/mailman/listinfo/oerberg

Good Luck,
-smythe

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

ruffian_on_the_stair wrote:Hello, I'm going to learn Latin and I've been looking at the books available (both on here and others). I very much like the look of Linuga Latina as it seems to be a more engaging method - I tried to learn once before and basically fell asleep on several occasions - however I'd be grateful to hear the opinions of those who have used it and those who have used others. I'm most worried about the all-Latin aspect of Lingua Latina; I'm sure it's effective but are any other books useful to use along side it for the most thorough understanding? Thanks for any help you can give.
I now use D'Ooge having switched over from Wheelocks which I now use for grammatical reference as well as Bennetts New Latin Grammar. I read LL for pleasure :wink: , Grote for clarification, and Gibbon for evening reading. I have found that I like to have several references to learning Latin as each one presents a topic in its own way.
If you are going to read LL you need a good grammar book, a good dictionary and patience but you will learn a lot. It teaches you to think, speak and read/write in Latin.
Good Luck!
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

steffi.alexa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by steffi.alexa »

I'm using Lingua Latina and I love it! On the publisher's website, you can download a word document with all the words you'll learn in the books (Familia Romana at least) and their English translations. You can also see sample pages on the Lingua Latina website if you're unsure of whether or not you'll get along with it (or use Amazon's look inside feature).

I have learnt languages before so maybe that's influencing how I'm finding this book/CD with audio? I still think it's a far more interesting way to learn Latin than some boring dry textbook but I will be using Latin grammar books after finishing Familia Romana because I just like making sure I've got it 100%.

Quin Firefrorefiddle
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Quin Firefrorefiddle »

Most of the troubles with LL cited here can be solved by getting the College Companion, which explains (in English) the grammar that is implied in the text, and also gives English translations of the words. I'm finding it very useful.
Pax vobiscum!