Help with circa 1600 blackletter manuscript

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
quendidil
Textkit Member

Help with circa 1600 blackletter manuscript

Post by quendidil »

If anyone here is familiar with blackletter and would be willing to take a look at this, please PM me.

The image concerned is from an English magical manuscript circa 1600. The text is written around a depiction of a magical circle with a spirit in the centre. If you're familiar with other esoterica, inside the circle is Vercan (Varcan) along with drawings of various demons. The manuscript itself is presumably in private hands and the image was taken from a picture taken during a sale around 1930. This is the only extant example of a manuscript corresponding to Agrippa's outline of a Liber Spirituum as far as an acquaintance, who has researched this topic thoroughly, knows.

As far as the language is concerned, I'm fairly certain it's Latin but it is possible it could be another language, even English.
Last edited by quendidil on Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

possiblymaybe
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help with circa 1600 blackletter manuscript

Post by possiblymaybe »

Can you post a picture?

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

Yeah, I think it'd be best to just post it here. Maybe just part of it if the image would be too big, so we'd know what we'd be getting into at least.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

quendidil
Textkit Member

Post by quendidil »

It's embedded in a pdf and I don't know how to remove it, sorry. The pdf consists of just two plates and is taken from the original description of the manuscript during the 1930 sale - not the whole book unfortunately.

I could upload it on ifile.it if anyone else is interested though.

Hampie
Textkit Member

Post by Hampie »

quendidil wrote:It's embedded in a pdf and I don't know how to remove it, sorry. The pdf consists of just two plates and is taken from the original description of the manuscript during the 1930 sale - not the whole book unfortunately.

I could upload it on ifile.it if anyone else is interested though.
You could take a print screen of said thing and post that :3.
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?