Question about Horatius

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Zizero
Textkit Neophyte

Question about Horatius

Post by Zizero »

I'm currently preparing for my Latin oral. <br /><br />The text I'm studying is poem 9, Book I of Horatius's Satyres.<br /><br />I don't understand the syntax of the sentence "O te, Bolane, cerebri felicem!". (lines 11 and 12) Shouldn't it be "O tu, Bolane, cerebri felix!", since "tu" and "felix" are connected to "Bolane" which is in the vocativ? <br /><br />I thought that maybe the construction of the sentence was "O Bolane, [dicimus] te felicem cerebri!".<br /><br />However, I'm not really sure.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:Question about Horatius

Post by benissimus »

The accusative can sometimes be used to demonstrate intensive force... i.e. "bonam fortunam!" (good luck!). I am not sure if this is the case here or if it is an implied verb, which I have also seen in many quotes. Perhaps someone else will grace you with a more detailed answer before your time is up ^.^
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

[quote author=Zizero link=board=3;threadid=156;start=0#742 date=1055094072]<br /><br />I thought that maybe the construction of the sentence was "O Bolane, [dicimus] te felicem cerebri!".<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />You don't even need to imply the "dicimus", see "Accusative in Exclamations", Bennett's Grammar § 183, p. 128 (=137 of the downloaded document). These kind of accusative is often preceded by "O" or "Pro..."<br /><br />"O fortunatos... agricolas!" (Vergil)

Zizero
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Zizero »

Thanks for the help. I understand the construction now. The problem was, I did not know about the accusative in exclamations before. I've had a look in my grammar, and I understand it now. Thanks again.