Mystery Quote

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Diadochia
Textkit Neophyte

Mystery Quote

Post by Diadochia »

Hi, everyone. I'm trying to put together my group's newsletter (by Friday), and one of the contributors wants to include a phrase often quoted by one of his professors long ago... only he can't remember the exact quote, or who originally said it. ::cough:: I'm hoping it will sound familiar to someone here. If you can tell me who said it, fantastic. If you've got the actual Greek text, well, you're my hero. It's something like, "Who has not been flayed has not been educated". That's all I know.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

[size=150]ὁ μὴ δαρεὶς ἄνθρωπος οὐ παιδεύεται.[/size]

by Menander

Hopes that's what you were looking for :)

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Wunderbar ! Darf ich gratulieren ? Can you please tell me how you managed to find it ?

I had found a sentence in Aristophanes, Wasps, 1297 :
[size=150]παῖδα γάρ, κἂν ᾖ γέρων, καλεῖν δίκαιον ὅστις πληγὰς λάβῃ[/size]

"Boy (with a play on the words παίς "boy, child" , "young slave"and παίω "to hit") is the right name of the one, even if he is old, who gets kicked."

A Menander-like sentence used in school, found in a papyrus:
[size=150]φιλοπόνει, ὦ παῖ, μὴ δαρῇς[/size]
"Work hard, boy, for not to be flayed"

And Aristotle said the same in a more polite manner (Politics, 1339 a 28 ) :
[size=150]μετὰ λύπης γὰρ ἡ μάθησις[/size]
"For there is no learning without pain." (I would say in French : "car la douleur est le prix de l'instruction").
Last edited by Skylax on Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diadochia
Textkit Neophyte

Hurray, Emma!

Post by Diadochia »

That was exactly the one I was looking for (although I rather like the one about learning and pain as well!). Thank you so much. You're officially my hero!

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

My teacher wanted us to learn these little phrases, so they are on my vocab list.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Emma_85 wrote:My teacher wanted us to learn these little phrases, so they are on my vocab list.
Your teacher is not so horrible.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

No, Herr Neutzling isn't, but my school is full of Latin and Greek teachers (well, I say full... right now it's only 4 Greek teachers, dunno how many Latin teachers, seems like 100s :wink: ) and quite a few of them are horrible.

Baphomet
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Baphomet »

Perhaps, the easiest and condensed sentence, which was the first one I've ever heard in classical Greek: χαλεπά τὰ καλά (hard [are] the beautiful things).