Quomodo dicere "They left to eat ice cream"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Quis ut Deus
Textkit Member

Quomodo dicere "They left to eat ice cream"

Post by Quis ut Deus »

Salvete amici amicaeque!

Valeo si valent.

Quomodo dicere "They left to eat ice cream?"

Scribo sic sententia mea:

"Discesserunt gelati edendi causa." (GERUNDIVE, anglice)

vel:

"Discesserunt ut gelatum ederent."

Gratias vobis ago!

Valete

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Quomodo dicere "They left to eat ice cream"

Post by adrianus »

Both are good, I believe, Quis ut Deus: your genitive gerundive with "causâ" or the one using the "ut" clause.
Uter modus, Quis ut Deus, bonus est, ut credo: iste per formulam cum gerundivo casu genetivo vel iste cum ut conjunctione.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Quis ut Deus
Textkit Member

Post by Quis ut Deus »

Salve Adriane!

Multas Gratias tibi ago!

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

You can also use the gerundive with "ad" (here I'm guessing the word is "gelātum"):
Discessērunt ad gelāta edenda.

And since this is a motion verb, you can even use the supine:
Discessērunt ēsum gelāta.

While the gerundive with "causā" is surely a valid construction, I'm not sure it is the best one. I understand "[gen. noun] + causā" to basically mean "for the sake of [noun]", and saying "They left for the sake of ice cream" sounds a bit odd. Wheelock doesn't use this construction where "for the sake of" would be awkward in English. Of course, that doesn't mean that the Romans didn't...

Where did you find the Latin word for ice cream, BTW? Or did you model it on Italian "gelato"?
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

Quis ut Deus
Textkit Member

Post by Quis ut Deus »

@furrykef-Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I started with "helado" in Spanish, and then went with "gelatus" in Latin.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Traupman (Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency) gives "gelidum crēmum" for icecream.
In Morgan, these (including your "gelatum"):
http://facweb.furman.edu/~dmorgan/lexicon/silva.htm wrote:.swet ice cream / Eiscreme: glacies (edibilis) -- Speiseeis: glacies edibilis; gelatum [Vox Lat.] (HELF.)
.swet ice cream / gelida sorbitio, sorbillum glaciatum (LRL); glacies edibilis (ALB. I)
.swet ice cream nix, cremor lactis gelu concretus (LEV.)
Pro anglicè "icecream" apud Traupman "gelidum crēmum" habes. Apud Morgan haec citata (quae gelatum tuum includunt).
furrykef wrote:"They left for the sake of ice cream" sounds a bit odd
Don't say that in English, then. Say "for the purpose of eating" or "to eat". See A&G §504b.
Sic anglicè non dicas sed aliter. Vide A&G sectionem quingentesimam quartam partem b.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.