Textkit Logo

Question about the use of 'id est'

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Question about the use of 'id est'

Postby Smythe » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Salvēte!

I have a question about the following sentence:
Iūlius est dominus pecūniōsus, quī magnam vīllam habet et magnam familiam, id est multōs servōs.

My translation is as follows:
Julius is a rich lord, who has a large estate and large family, that is many slaves.

My understanding so far is limited, but I believe that 'id' can be used as both 'it' and a weak 'that'. Still, it seems my translation is lacking, or not quite there. Is "id est multōs servōs" a subclause relating to 'magnam familiam' as I believe? 'Id' is neuter, 'familiam' is feminine. I kinda think that for my translation to be correct, they'd have to agree with each other. Or, is 'id est' being idiomatically used in a way I am not catching?

Any enlightenment on this is appreciated.

-smythe

On a more puerile note, a few sentences later comes this: Cornēlius equum suum amat. ...heh.
Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Question about the use of 'id est'

Postby adrianus » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:04 am

"He has a big family, i.e., [that* is, he has] many slaves." NOT "He has a big family that is [or comprises] many slaves"

"Habet magnam familiam, id* est, [habet] multos servos", NON "Habet magnam familiam quae multos servos continet/numerat."

* Your weak "that"/ quod "id molle" vocas.

http://archimedes.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/cgi-bin/archim/dict/hw?lemma=fa%5Emi%5Eli%5Ea&step=entry&id=d003
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Postby furrykef » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:43 am

In case you didn't catch it from adrianus' post: the English abbreviation "i.e." comes from Latin "id est", and it works the other way around as well: "id est" in Latin can often be read like "i.e." in English.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
I also have a lang-8 journal where I practice Spanish and Japanese.
furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Smythe » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:23 pm

Cool. Many thanks. I knew that 'i.e.' = 'id est' and how it was used in English, just not that it was used the same way in Latin. Also, the link showing that familia primarily meant the slaves in a household or a household establishment was helpful, too.
Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin