Question about the use of 'id est'

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Question about the use of 'id est'

Post by Smythe »

Salvēte!

I have a question about the following sentence:
Iūlius est dominus pecūniōsus, quī magnam vīllam habet et magnam familiam, id est multōs servōs.

My translation is as follows:
Julius is a rich lord, who has a large estate and large family, that is many slaves.

My understanding so far is limited, but I believe that 'id' can be used as both 'it' and a weak 'that'. Still, it seems my translation is lacking, or not quite there. Is "id est multōs servōs" a subclause relating to 'magnam familiam' as I believe? 'Id' is neuter, 'familiam' is feminine. I kinda think that for my translation to be correct, they'd have to agree with each other. Or, is 'id est' being idiomatically used in a way I am not catching?

Any enlightenment on this is appreciated.

-smythe

On a more puerile note, a few sentences later comes this: Cornēlius equum suum amat. ...heh.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Question about the use of 'id est'

Post by adrianus »

"He has a big family, i.e., [that* is, he has] many slaves." NOT "He has a big family that is [or comprises] many slaves"

"Habet magnam familiam, id* est, [habet] multos servos", NON "Habet magnam familiam quae multos servos continet/numerat."

* Your weak "that"/ quod "id molle" vocas.

http://archimedes.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/c ... ry&id=d003
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

In case you didn't catch it from adrianus' post: the English abbreviation "i.e." comes from Latin "id est", and it works the other way around as well: "id est" in Latin can often be read like "i.e." in English.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Smythe »

Cool. Many thanks. I knew that 'i.e.' = 'id est' and how it was used in English, just not that it was used the same way in Latin. Also, the link showing that familia primarily meant the slaves in a household or a household establishment was helpful, too.