learning both latin and greek

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
gogolgadgets
Textkit Neophyte

learning both latin and greek

Post by gogolgadgets »

Hello,

I have very little experience with Latin and none with Greek. I am returning to university after some time away and I am very interested in pursuing Classics. Is it usually encouraged or discouraged to register in both introductory Greek and introductory Latin? Do students tend to stagger these studies? Does anybody on the forum have experience in studying both at once? If so, what are your thoughts and/or advice?

Many thanks.

mtcougar832
Textkit Neophyte

Re: learning both latin and greek

Post by mtcougar832 »

Well I am studying on my own, I started Latin at the beginning of the year, and in 2 weeks I'll start Greek. (Online groups using materials I like started, so I've jumped at the opportunity.) From a self-study perspective (and not having a good nuts-and-bolts grasp of grammar / grammatical terms) I think the languages compliment each other. I think Latin made Greek easier (or my Latin text was more helpful, LOL). The main thing is time - do you have time for both languages.

Since I assume you are taking actual college classes, you just need to be sure you can handle each class. If you are unsure, start one this year/term and the other next.

oberon
Textkit Neophyte

Re: learning both latin and greek

Post by oberon »

gogolgadgets wrote:Hello,

I have very little experience with Latin and none with Greek. I am returning to university after some time away and I am very interested in pursuing Classics. Is it usually encouraged or discouraged to register in both introductory Greek and introductory Latin? Do students tend to stagger these studies? Does anybody on the forum have experience in studying both at once? If so, what are your thoughts and/or advice?

Many thanks.
I took both at the same time way back when, as did many others. Most didn't find it too difficult.