Advice on Lingua Latina for Children

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
WishboneDawn
Textkit Neophyte

Advice on Lingua Latina for Children

Post by WishboneDawn »

I have a homeschoooled 11 yo daughter who wants to learn Latin and Ancient Greek. Lingua Latina looks like it's right up her alley as her goal is to read Latin fluently, not pass the National Latin Exam. My only qualm is that I have no experience with Latin whatsoever. I do intend to work through the program with her but we'd both be going into it at the same level. The only criticism I've heard of LL is that children working through it might find it too difficult without a tutor or mentor who knows some Latin. Is that fair or can she and I still manage to blunder through it, possibly with the help of people here?

Thanks!

Kynetus Valesius
Textkit Fan

Re: Advice on Lingua Latina for Children

Post by Kynetus Valesius »

my suggestion is to use the Oxford Latin Course in conjunction with lingua latina. the drawings and storyline in the oxford book are very charming.

best

Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Advice on Lingua Latina for Children

Post by Smythe »

Howdy.

I have no idea what the right answer is. I'm taking LL myself right now. However, they do have a mailing list which is chock full of actual Latin teachers with tons of experience. You can sign up there at: http://nxport.com/mailman/listinfo/oerberg

Once on, you can solicit opinions of people who not only have an intimate familiarity with teaching LL, but with other methods as well.