Latin syntax. Syntaxis Latina.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
victores
Textkit Neophyte

Latin syntax. Syntaxis Latina.

Post by victores »

Latin syntax is so hard for me. even though I know like 80-90 percent of the words, (gratias hispanicae meae studioque) I don't even understand the sentence because the syntax is so hard.
Anyone know how I can overcome this?

loqu
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Latin syntax. Syntaxis Latina.

Post by loqu »

victores wrote:Latin syntax is so hard for me. even though I know like 80-90 percent of the words, (gratias hispanicae meae studioque) I don't even understand the sentence because the syntax is so hard.
Anyone know how I can overcome this?
I'd say paying close attention to the declension suffixes so that you can identify the role of each word in the sentence. But I'm just a newbie so there may be better ways. A lot of complicated sentences are still hard for me.

(in fact, though I understand your "gratias hispanicae meae studioque" because I speak Spanish myself, I can't decipher the syntax you used)

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Latin syntax. Syntaxis Latina.

Post by adrianus »

If you can hear and deal with the syntactic changes in your own language over four hundred years and love those past voices, you are more appreciative of Latin syntax and its changes over 2000 years under the influence of other vernaculars and for internal reasons. It may seem odd, but thinking like that helps me to think I hear the Latin writer a little better. Certainly also, doggedly seeking answers to questions in time pays off.

Si tuâ propriâ in linguâ audire ac appreciare tractareque mutationes compositurae quattuor saeculorum et auctorum antiquorum potes, tunc meliùs diligis latinae linguae composituram et commutationes eius linguis vernaculis rationibusque internis per duo millennia effectas. Id mirum forsìt videtur, at sic in cogitando, paulùm clariùs, ut imaginor, auctorem latinum comprehendere possum. Ampliùs infatigabilis continuò quaerens responsa tandem inveniat.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.