Textkit Logo

Strange letter in Greek word

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Strange letter in Greek word

Postby Abstractus » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:04 pm

I am translating (from Latin) a mathematical text from XVII century, in which occasionally some Greek words appear. Unfortunately I do not know Greek, so I wonder if somebody could be kind enough to help. Here is the word:

What is this strange letter which looks like @, and what is the meaning of this word?

I tried to search LSJ disctionary for words starting with ευχει..., and here is what I found:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/res ... lang=greek
Abstractus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Strange letter in Greek word

Postby modus.irrealis » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:20 pm

I'm fairly sure it's ἐγχειρήσεως, the genitive of ἐγχείρησις which here probably means something like "manipulation, operation".

It's written ἐν- instead of ἐγ- but my guess is that the Latin transliteration has interfered with the spelling here, and also if it were εὐ- the breathing mark would be written over the υ and not the ε. That it's a genitive goes with "hujus". I know only the very basics when it comes to the ligatures in Greek, but I do recall that the large circle represent a σ and it does seem to be circling an ω-like shape. But no matter how sure I might be, this is still a guess.

Edit: it seems like I remembered wrong -- if you look at this Wikipedia article it has a picture of the -ος ligature that matches the one here, so the circle is the ο and the squiggle inside is the σ. I still think it's the same word but it's just the Latin transliteration encheireseos transliterated back into Greek by someone who didn't know Greek very well.
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Strange letter in Greek word

Postby Abstractus » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks a lot - genitive of "manipulation" seems to make sense in the context of previous sentences. The second letter may indeed by γ - the quality of scan is not very good, but I do not have access to the original to check. You conjecture regarding transliteration also seems to be very plausible. Thanks again!
Abstractus
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek