use of hic as opposed to haec

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

use of hic as opposed to haec

Post by pmda »

If this is the wrong place to post this question then let me know. In Orberg's Lingua Latina on page 27 there is the sentence 'Pecunia tua hic non est'. Now given that pecunia is feminine and is singular why isn't it: 'Pecunia tua haec non est'.??? I am taking it that the gender of 'hic' is governed by the gender of the thing that's 'here' - i.e pecunia and therefore should be feminine - haec. Where am I going wrong? Thanks.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: use of hic as opposed to haec

Post by pmda »

To answer my own question. It seems that Hic is not declined when used as an adverb 'here' but when used as a pronoun 'This money' it is.

Episteme
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Episteme »

You are right that hīc is the adverb "here," but an adverb does not have to agree with any of the nouns in a sentence. It just sits there, unchanged.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

Finally a question even I can answer! :)

The answer is that 'hic' and 'hīc' are different words. To be specific, 'hic' is a masculine adjective or pronoun meaning 'this', whereas 'hīc' is an adverb meaning 'here', and since it's an adverb, it doesn't decline for number or gender.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

Episteme
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Episteme »

I submitted a response to this query sometime this morning, so I apologize if my post (whenever it is eventually posted) seems redundant. I'm not trying to pile on or repeat what others have written--it's just that, when I posted, Kef's reply wasn't there yet.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

Hmm, I'm guessing this board is moderated such that posts won't appear until approved. I was wondering how I'd missed a thread that had been posted the previous day...
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

furrykef wrote:Hmm, I'm guessing this board is moderated such that posts won't appear until approved.
And that's one of the reason I stopped frequenting this forum.

[edit]
But look! This post appeared right away on the thread as soon as I clicked the "submit" button! Is the system changed back to the good old days?

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

mingshey wrote: But look! This post appeared right away on the thread as soon as I clicked the "submit" button! Is the system changed back to the good old days?
I think there was a post sometime earlier by Jeff saying only people who have less than X (I'm guessing 10) posts need to have their posts approved. I'm not 100% sure about that, though.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Smythe »

edonnelly wrote:
mingshey wrote: But look! This post appeared right away on the thread as soon as I clicked the "submit" button! Is the system changed back to the good old days?
I think there was a post sometime earlier by Jeff saying only people who have less than X (I'm guessing 10) posts need to have their posts approved. I'm not 100% sure about that, though.
Yep. Ten is correct. My eleventh post and later all just went right on through.