Short English to Latin translation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ericaceae
Textkit Neophyte

Short English to Latin translation

Post by ericaceae »

I'm trying to translate a motto into Latin for a friend of mine, and my Latin is rusty enough that I'd love some other sets of eyes to check my work before it gets calligraphied and painted onto things!

The original English is:
Light a candle or suffer in darkness.

My Latin translation is:
Incendete candelam aut dolete in tenebris.

So, any errors you can catch? I know there are some other options for "suffer" so let me know if you happen to know the connotations for this one are all wrong. But I'm mostly concerned about my rusty grammar.

Thanks for any help you can give!

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Short English to Latin translation

Post by modus.irrealis »

I can't comment on word choice or anything like that, but I can tell you that it should be "incendite".

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I think "accendite" for "light" and "incendite" for "burn".
Strictim "accendite" non "incendite", ut opinor.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

ericaceae
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ericaceae »

Yes, I'd wondered if accendite would be more appropriate to the context. And I'm not at all surprised I got some grammar wrong.

Thanks, both of you!!

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

unam candelam accendite aut in tenebris dolete

although I would perhaps use umbris rather than tenebris?
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, I had some questions on how you are using the two imperatives in your sentence:

INCENDITE: is your phrase meant to be addressed to a specific group of individuals? or is it more a general statement, like a maxim or precept, giving general advice and not addressed to any specific individual? if the latter, i would use instead the second person singular subjunctive ACCENDAS: see woodcock page 96, s126 note (ii):
http://books.google.fr/books?id=WmT6mS5v4dAC&pg=PA96

DOLETE: are you actually ordering the persons to suffer if they don’t do X? or are you saying that they should do X in order to avoid suffering? if the latter, i would use instead NE plus subjunctive. for an e.g. of this construction, see cicero’s pro caelio s80:

CONSERVATE PARENTI FILIVM, PARENTEM FILIO, NE AVT SENECTVTEM IAM PROPE DESPERATAM CONTEMPSISSE AVT ADVLESCENTIAM PLENAM SPEI MAXIMAE NON MODO NON ALVISSE VOS VERVM ETIAM PERCVLISSE ATQVE ADFLIXISSE VIDEAMINI.

this would give overall ACCENDAS CANDELAM NE IN TENEBRIS DOLEAS, without considering other options for the other words, e.g. CANDELAM/CEREVM etc. cheers, chad :)