Use of Relative Pronoun with passive verb

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Use of Relative Pronoun with passive verb

Post by pmda »

Hi, can anyone advise me about this sentence I've written in answer to one of the questions in Lingua Latina (Orberg)

Lesson 6. Question 9 in the Exercitia Latina book: Cur Iulius fessus non est?

My answer is: Iulius in lectica, quae ab servi duo vehitur, est.

Assuming the basic construction is OK - and I'm not saying it is -is 'Quae' here in the right case and gender (nominative feminine to agree with lectica) or should it be 'quam'? Maybe I'm being too clever by half!!?? I'd appreciate any views.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Use of Relative Pronoun with passive verb

Post by pmda »

I just relised.

it should be: Iulius in lectica, quae ab servis vehitur, est.

furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by furrykef »

It looks fine to me, except the ablative of "duo" is duōbus. It's also much more common to put numbers before the noun, so I would say "ā duōbus servīs". Or alternatively you could just use the active voice and say "quam duo servī vehunt".

The gender and case of the relative pronoun is the same as the noun it is taking the place of.

Lectīca ā duōbus servīs vehitur. Here "lectīca" is clearly the subject, so it takes the nominative.
...in lectīcā, quae ā duōbus servīs vehitur... So "quae" takes the nominative too, and it takes the gender of "lectīca".

Duo servī vehunt lectīcam. Now "lectīcam" is the object, and therefore accusative.
...in lectīcā, quam duo servī vehunt... So now "quae" takes the accusative to become "quam".

Is that clear? :)

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Smythe »

Howdy, you and me is real close in the same book (I'm doing Capitulum Septimum right now)

Here is how I answered it:

9. Cūr Iūlius fessus nōn est? Quia is ā servīs in lectīcā vehitur.

Obviously, I didn't use a relative pronoun, but I wanted to point something else out.

In Lingua Latina, when there is a question that starts with 'Cūr', they want you to answer it with 'Quia'. I suspect that may not be an ironclad rule, and as we get more practiced, we can break it.

Check out the Latine Disco / Student's Manual on page 13, paragraph 4.

P.S. if I am being too pedantic and/or patronizing, I apologize. Just got excited about finally being able to add to the conversation.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Kef - many thanks for clearing it up. And yes duobus it should be.

Smyth. I'm very grateful for any comments at all so don't hesitate for a second. In fact I have been a little nervous about the free style questions and knowing exactly what's expected. Answers are only provided for these in the CD Rom.. of the book and Exercitia Latina 1...so you have to think for yourself - no bad thing and probably necessary. But I have wondered how clever I should try to be. The answer is seldom exactly as you write it.. I will look at the manual as suggested. Thanks.

Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Smythe »

pmda wrote: But I have wondered how clever I should try to be. The answer is seldom exactly as you write it.. I will look at the manual as suggested. Thanks.
Hey, there are tons of 'right' answers. For instance, using the relative pronoun in the answer was not something that I thought of, but makes perfect sense. I try to be as creative as I can with the answers because, in so doing, it makes me think about everything that I've been learning so far.

Good luck to us both!