xraomai

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lina
Textkit Neophyte

xraomai

Post by Lina »

Hi all,

Athenaze defines xraomai as "I use, enjoy, consult (an oracle). However, I am reading a passage from Arrian's Anabasis (V19.1-3; from a book called "Greek Unseen Translation"), and I'm finding that xraomai seems to have a lot of shades of meaning that seem more like "treat (someone in a certain way)", which I suppose corresponds to an old-fashioned meaning of the word "use" ("He used me badly"="He treated me badly"). In one translation, xraomai is even translated as something like "Alexander found him to be faithful in all things..."

I'm trying to be on friendlier terms with xraomai, a verb I have never really liked. Can anyone help me understand the nuances of meaning in this verb as relates to translating it correctly?

(Sorry for not using a Greek font: I am on someone else's computer).

Thanks,
Lina

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Re: xraomai

Post by IreneY »

Hi there!

I never really liked χράομαι either to tell you the truth. For a more extensive definition you may want to check perseus project (here's Middle Liddell and Scott's definition for example).
In general I'd say keep in mind the meaning of "use" in it's most general, stretched to breaking point meaning and look for the translation in whatever accompanies it the way you did with "treat". Not much help I know, but this is one of the most annoying verbs of the ancient Greek language if you ask me.

Lina
Textkit Neophyte

Re: xraomai

Post by Lina »

Hi Irene,

Thank you for the link and the advice! Very helpful. I did not realize that the Perseus Project had the Middle Liddell, either. I have thought of buying it, but I do not want to lug it around with me, so I'm glad there's an online option.

Thanks,
Lina