Quasi-beginner

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Invictus
Textkit Neophyte

Quasi-beginner

Post by Invictus »

Hey all,

I tried to post a similar introductory post, but I don't think it went through. I apologize if it did get posted and this is a repeat.

I am a quasi-beginner of Latin and Ancient Greek. I've just completed one year of study in both languages at a private university in New York City. I plan to continue my studies on my own. I hope these forums will be helpful when I come across difficulties in this pursuit.

My Greek class was comprised mostly of seminarians and, thus, was targeted at NT Greek. It wasn't particularly intensive and I don't feel like I've gotten anything more than a fleeting introduction of the language. I'd prefer, if possible, to start with Homer and progress more or less chronological through the ancient writers. I've come across Pharr's Homeric Greek text for beginners, in which the author argues for the use of Homer as a beginning text. Is it practical for me to try to continue with Homer, given that I have some experience with Attic?

As for Latin, I'm quite content with Wheelock. We covered about half of the book and I plan on continuing with it until I finish all 40 chapters.

If you have any advice for me as I begin my self-guided study of these classic languages, I would greatly appreciate it.

Valete!

Scribo
Global Moderator

Re: Quasi-beginner

Post by Scribo »

I saw someone else giving you advice specific to Greek so I'll lay off there, however in general:

Essentially just to practice. I find Wheelocks to be an admirable text, others do not, if you like it persevere. It would be wise to consider adding some more reading, whether that would be one of the many Wheelocks companions, Lingua Latina or even something like Caesar or Nepos is upto you entirely. The best advice? a) practice and b) make use of this forum as much as possible.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose