Latin Texts

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Cogito
Textkit Neophyte

Latin Texts

Post by Cogito »

Salvete!
I am a Latin novice who was wondering if it helps to read Latin authors in my native language ( English ) before reading them in their original context.
I also wanted to know what the differences in general are, when reading Latin in it's original form compared to a translation.
Gratias

Hampie
Textkit Member

Re: Latin Texts

Post by Hampie »

Ofcourse it do helps if you know what the text is saying when you read it: then you can figure out things that you otherwise might need a dictionary for – however, I think you need to have some kind of base knowledge due to the very different syntax of Latin compared to English.
Här kan jag i alla fall skriva på svenska, eller hur?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Latin Texts

Post by adrianus »

Cogito wrote:I also wanted to know what the differences in general are, when reading Latin in it's original form compared to a translation.
I can't read, or write or speak Latin fluently and I'm far from doing so, I think, but even the little understanding I have of Latin gives me real pleasure in little accomplishments. So if I can close the gap further, more pleasure must be in store. The same can be said of any language, of course, Cogito.

The difference is like that between fresh and processed food, I think, too!

Facundè latinè non lego, non scribo, non loquor, et longè abero ut sic faciam, ut credo. Verumtamen quantulumcunque latinae linguae mihi est, tantùm plùs magnificantur deliciae parvola assequendo. Quàm majores deliciae lacunis comprehensionis complendis exspectandae sunt. Verè idem dicam de omne linguâ, ô Cogito.

Et simile est discrimen inter cibum recentem et in officinâ confectum, ut opinor!
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.