Jus Primatiale Armacanum

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Jus Primatiale Armacanum

Post by adrianus »

Have I made mistakes, thanks, in this?
Vos amabò, errone sic in vertendo?
[i]Jus Primatiale Armacanum[/i] per HAMTHP, 1728, p.1, wrote:MEMINI tunc Puerulus contestationis inter Archiepiscopos Armacanum, et Dubliniensem Oliverum Plunkettum et Petrum Talbotum, Anno 1670. De potiori loco, seu primâ Subscriptione Dublinij, quâ de re Librum edidit Armacanus, Anno 1672. Alter a Dubliniensi editus in contrarium, prodiit Anno 1674. Primum ab annis aliquot accuratè pervolvi continentem Succinctè quidem et summariè Argumenta, ac Documenta quibus, (meo judicio) Sinceris mentibus, et partium Studio non abductis de praeminentiâ, et praerogativis sedis Armacanae super coeteras hujus Insulae Ecclesias luculenter constare potest. Idcercò Talboti Librum videre summoperè cupiebam, quo quicquid ille ex adverso objiciebat, me minimè lateret: cuius copiam diu conquisitam non nisi nuperrimè assecutus sum.

I remember when I was a young boy a debate between the Archibishops of Armagh and of Dublin, Oliver Plunkett and Peter Talbot, in the year 1670. It was about the more important situation of Dublin, or its prime warrant, concerning which the Armagh archbishop published a book in 1672. Another opposing it published by the Dublin archbishop came out in 1674. After some years I carefully read the first one containing, yes succinctly but exhaustively, arguments and documents by which it [the matter] can clearly be established, from (in my opinion) the soundness of reasons, and from studying parts, that do not detract from the preeminence and prerogatives of the seat of Armagh over other churches of this island. Therefore I was extremely eager to see Talbot's book, so that whatever he was objecting to from his opponent would by no means escape my notice: the opportunity of which, a long time sought, not until only very recently did I achieve.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

cantator
Textkit Fan

Re: Jus Primatiale Armacanum

Post by cantator »

adrianus wrote:Have I made mistakes, thanks, in this?
I'd change quidem to "indeed" where you have "yes", IMO the translation then reads better. Otherwise, well done.

dp
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Jus Primatiale Armacanum

Post by adrianus »

Thanks, cantator. // Gratias, cantator.
"See of Armagh" for/pro "seat of Armagh" is better, I reckon now // melius est, ut nunc puto.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.