Returning student advice

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Amiros
Textkit Neophyte

Returning student advice

Post by Amiros »

Salvete,

I'd been studying Latin a few years ago and had stopped. In recent months I've been returning to that (while beginning Greek as well), reading so far in a reader for 1st year (by C.J. Vincent) which is focused on preparing the reader for Caesar.

However, I feel that I need a more focused effort. What is recommended for returning? Would it be useful to go through M&F's intensive course?
About my level: I can't be too specific about it, but it seems like I have a fair command over the important declenations and the active indicative present, imperfect, perfect and future. My knowledge of passive is smaller, and I only know basic things about subjunctive. I'd say my command of syntax is low-intermediate.

Thanks,
Amir
Latin: Trying to ge back to it. Again. (Again.)
Ancient Greek: Hoping to have time to get back to that in the future...
Other: Hebrew [native]; English [advanced]; German [advanced]; Palestinian Arabic [beginner]

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Returning student advice

Post by spiphany »

I worked through M & F in approximately the same situation as you (I had several years of Latin in high school but then didn't touch the language for several years and forgot most of it) and would recommend it.

The advantage to it being an intensive course is that the basic stuff -- i.e, the stuff you already have a good grasp on -- is covered pretty quickly, so you can refresh your knowledge and don't get bogged down spending an eternity on boring details. I found the course also goes into more detail about some of the finer points of grammar/syntax than the Latin textbook I had used in school, which is also quite useful -- there's plenty of new information which is helpful when reading Latin authors, and you feel like you're actually increasing your knowledge rather than just reiterating what you've already done once before. I found that helped immensely with the motivation.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

Amiros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Amiros »

Thanks for the information!

I noticed yesterday when looking for M&F in my university's library that it's courier typefaced (like it was printed in a typewriter). Is this the regular edition? I find this type of prints very inconvenient to study from...
Other: Hebrew [native]; English [advanced]; German [advanced]; Palestinian Arabic [beginner]

Auberon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Auberon »

You must be looking at an earlier edition. It was developed during summer intensive classes, so I imagine at one time it was a photocopied course textbook that had been prepared with a typewriter. The current edition can be seen here.
Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest.—Eric Clapton

Amiros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Amiros »

Indeed I have the early edition. My university's library probably has the final edition as well, I should check the shelf more carefully.

I think I'm after all doing well with the typewriting. The only problem is with the exercise keys at weblearn.ox.ac.uk, which are based probably on the new edition.