HELP - is this Latin setence correct?

This board is a composition workshop, like a writers' workshop: post your work with questions about style or vocabulary, comment on other people's work, post composition challenges on some topic or form, or just dazzle us with your inventive use of galliambics.
ThomasNoronha
Textkit Neophyte

HELP - is this Latin setence correct?

Post by ThomasNoronha »

I'm in this forum because I'm learning Ancient Greek so I really don't speak Latin. I've found the setence below scribled in an old book of my family. The person who wrote it had no formal knowledge of Latin, so I kindly ask if someone could tell if it is correct.

Ars mens mentis potestas est.

Thank you
Thomas d'Athayde e Noronha
Medicine student
Cura te ipsum

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Re: HELP - is this Latin setence correct?

Post by Kasper »

Hi Tom,
sadly no, it does not not seem proper latin to me, because of the collision of the two nominatives: ars and mens.

I'm not sure what it is meant to say either... perhaps: "the skill of the mind/soul is the strenght of the soul/mind"? If so: Ars mentis mentis potestas est.

You could change the word order a bit so that mentis isn't repeated , e.g. ars mentis potestas mentis est.

ThomasNoronha
Textkit Neophyte

Re: HELP - is this Latin setence correct?

Post by ThomasNoronha »

kasper,

I do believe you got the meaning right. At least, it would make sense in the place in which it was writen.
Thank you very much for correcting it. Ars mentis potestas mentis est. I do like the sound of it ;)
Thomas d'Athayde e Noronha
Medicine student
Cura te ipsum