Textkit Logo

sentence

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

sentence

Postby COPLAND 3 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:52 pm

I am needing help getting this translated, it concerns the underlined part of 1 Thessalonians 2:3 "For our exhortation was not in error, nor from impurity, nor with deception." Could someone take a shot at translating that for me? Thanks!

Here it is....
sicut carnales aboseruantiae post chrisium, uel usus mulierum et aliorum quae quidem praedicabant.
COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Re: sentence

Postby COPLAND 3 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:40 pm

I just ran onto another sentence that I would love to have help translating. It concerns 1 Thessalonians 2:3 and the last part neque in dolo/nor with deception.

neque in dolo: sicut docebant salsi Christiani, quia aliqua do docebant vera de fide Catholica, ut deprehenderentur Catholici, sicit de torquato legitur in legenda sancti Tiburtij.
COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Re: sentence

Postby ptolemyauletes » Wed May 12, 2010 3:22 pm

I will give the first bit a shot, but I don't really know the context here...
I suspect there are a few errors in your transcription onto this posting...
chrisium should read Christum?
aboservantiae should read observantiae?

'Just like the customs of the flesh according to Christ, or the practice of women and others who in fact were preaching.'

Does this make any sense?
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.
ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Latin