Hi guys!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
furrykef
Textkit Enthusiast

Hi guys!

Post by furrykef »

I accidentally violated the rules by posting in another forum without putting an introductory thread here... ^^;

I don't really have a lot to say about myself, though, except I love discovering the origins of words, and I love Martial. I don't know enough Latin to just read Martial yet, but what I can read of him is quite funny; I'd say he was an ancient Groucho Marx or Winston Churchill when it comes to delivering a good insult. I think more people would enjoy Latin if they knew about him. :) Anybody who's read any of Martial's epigrams probably knows that my signature comes from him.

In addition to Latin, I study Spanish, Italian, and Japanese -- I'm pretty good at Spanish (not the spoken language yet, though) and still a beginner at the others. I'd study Greek, too, but my workload is crazy enough as it is, y'know? ;)

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.

Delirant isti romani!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Hi guys!

Post by thesaurus »

Nice to see you here, furrykef. Keep up the hard work.

Martial is someone I need to read more of. I've only encountered him through Wheelock's examples.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Episteme
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Hi guys!

Post by Episteme »

How fortuitous that both of you are posting here just now!

Furrykef, we just translated that Martial poem in my Latin 4 class yesterday.

Thesaurus, I used that quotation about Cicero in your signature with my Latin 3 class (we're reading the first Catilinarian).