help

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
John Litteral
Textkit Neophyte

help

Post by John Litteral »

Thanks for all the help I have been getting on here I have managed to get some work done on a little project that I am doing, and I have managed to translate some small phrases on my own. But here is a sentence that I am stuck on, it concerns 1 Thessalonians 1:8 "For from you, the Word of the Lord was spread,"

occasione vestri diuulgatum est verbum dei, quia multi prius tacentes timore, exemplo vertro constantes effecti predicauerunt publice & in pluribus locis. ideo subditur.

Can anyone translate this for me?

COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Re: help

Post by COPLAND 3 »

I am the same person who started this thread, I created another account and somehow I managed to log in on my old one. Sorry for any confusion.

ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Post by ptolemyauletes »

I may be able to help, but I suspect you have made an error in copying this passage... vertro is not Latin as I know it. What should this read?
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.

COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Post by COPLAND 3 »

Yes, it was my mistake, it is vestro. I am looking at at ancient text so it is hard to tell sometimes. Thanks!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

COPLAND 3 wrote:Yes, it was my mistake, it is vestro. I am looking at at ancient text so it is hard to tell sometimes. Thanks!
occasione vestri diuulgatum est verbum dei, quia multi prius tacentes timore, exemplo vestro constantes effecti predicauerunt publice & in pluribus locis. ideo subditur.
"By your pretext/occasion the word of God is disseminated, because many, who were previously silent from fear, made bold by your example, preached openly and in many places. It was furnished for that reason."

I'm not sure what to make of "ideo subditur," so I welcome suggstions.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

thesaurus wrote:I'm not sure what to make of "ideo subditur," so I welcome suggstions.

= (ut dicis) "It was furnished for that reason." = "God spoke precisely in order his word would be spread."
Last edited by adrianus on Wed May 05, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Post by COPLAND 3 »

Thank you, that was very helpful!! I really appreciate everyone's help!

ptolemyauletes
Textkit Fan

Post by ptolemyauletes »

I think 'occasione vestri' might better be rendered as 'because of you', in a due to your fortunate arrival/intercession etc. sense. I think it is being used similarly to 'causa'.
The only thing we can guarantee when communicating via the internet is that we will be almost completely misunderstood, and likely cause great offence in doing so. Throw in an attempt at humour and you insure a lifelong enemy will be made.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

ptolemyauletes wrote:I think 'occasione vestri' might better be rendered as 'because of you', in a due to your fortunate arrival/intercession etc. sense. I think it is being used similarly to 'causa'.
Yes, that makes sense. I wasn't exactly sure what sense he was using it in.

Ita, tibi adsentio. Quid vere significet dubitavi.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute