Hello Everyone

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Tarential
Textkit Neophyte

Hello Everyone

Post by Tarential »

My name is David. I'm a computer programmer from BC, Canada with an interest in languages. I've signed up for these forums because I have decided to study Latin in addition to Spanish and French. Currently, I have a basic knowledge of Spanish and a limited French vocabulary. My intent is to study all three languages simultaneously. I hope to use these forums to practice my composition and eventually communicate with other members in Latin.

That's about it. I hope you are all doing well :)

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by thesaurus »

Welcome!

I have not attempted to study three Romance languages simultaneously, but it might be easier to study them one at a time. Otherwise, you may risk mixing up vocabulary and grammar (plus it's difficult to memorize too many new things at once). It might be helpful to study one until you've finished an introductory textbook, and then you can proceed to practice your reading/writing etc. as you then pick up the second language and so on. With a little overlap, you avoid memorizing multiple conjugations all at once, and having committed, say, Latin grammar, to memory before you start French will make learning French grammar easier.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Tarential
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Tarential »

Such I have been told before, yet as it stands I am willing to accept the challenge. If this undertaking becomes too complicated I may have to rethink my position. For now, I will try.

Thank you for the advice, however.

rustymason
Textkit Fan

Post by rustymason »

Welcome, David. Bonam Fortunam.
--Robiginosus Caementarius