Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Post by COPLAND 3 »

I have a few questions about a couple of sentences in the old glossa ordinaria. I noticed that it uses the word 'inde' alot. What is the best way to translate that? And I also see a letter that I am not sure what it is, it looks like a backwards 3 connected to what looks like a t. In the quote below I just put 3t in place of the letter I am asking about. Here is the link to the page it comes from, it is on the far right half way down starting with Hiero., that being the author quoted. http://www.archive.org/stream/bibliorum ... 3/mode/2up

Hiero. Qui perfo 3tae charitatis est: susti net omnia patienter propter spem futura.
Ante Deum. Inde ita certi acsi ia videatis, & ita eos animat Vel. Ante Deum. quia ei bene placent, non ad aspe3tus hominum.

Is there a way I can paste images on here? And, if someone could be kind enough to translate those couple sentences that would be wonderful! It starts where it has Hiero. and ends with hominum. Thank you! By the way that comment is concerning 1 Thessalonians {1:3} remembering your work of faith, and hardship, and charity, and enduring hope, in our Lord Jesus Christ, before God our Father.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: quote

Post by thesaurus »

COPLAND 3 wrote:I have a few questions about a couple of sentences in the old glossa ordinaria. I noticed that it uses the word 'inde' alot. What is the best way to translate that? And I also see a letter that I am not sure what it is, it looks like a backwards 3 connected to what looks like a t.
That is a ligature used to connect the letters "c" and "t". If you erase the little loop on top, you should have "ct" as normal.
*Hiero. Qui perfectae charitatis est: sustinet omnia patienter propter spem futuram. g Ante Deum. inde ita certi acsi iam videatis, & ita eos animat Vel. An.Deum. quia ei bene placent, non ad aspectus hominum.
Who is of perfect charity: he patiently sustains everything on account of future hope. g Before God. Thence [you are] so certain as if you already see, and thus he gives them life Or. Before God. Because he cherishes them, not [referring] to the faces of men.
The "Vel" seems to be proposing an alternative interpretation of the words "ante Deum"

I think "thence, thenceforth; from that place/time; thereupon" are all option for "inde". "Thence" is probably most common in this context.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Re: quote

Post by COPLAND 3 »

Thank you very much, that is very helpful and informative! I do appreciate all your help!