Korudos Alighting

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
korudos
Textkit Neophyte

Korudos Alighting

Post by korudos »

Hi all,

Once upon a time, circa 2002 and later, I used to to occasionally participate here under the name Alauda, but evidently revisions in the technological underpinnings of this forum prevented me from re-using that name, so here I am again using Korudos--Greek for Alauda.

Cheers and a gold star for anyone who knows the meaning of either word. (Though I am afraid you will have to have a good imagination to receive your reward.)

Anyhow, after failing to teach myself Greek and Latin, I returned to college, where I am now, finishing my second semester of both at the same time. As I write this, I sit in the social science quad at Fresno State. Beside me sit Cynthia Sheldermine's _Introduction the Greek_ and the venerable Professor Wheelock's _Latin_. At the moment, I am too wiped out by the big crunch toward finals to much ponder either.

Looking soon at a long summer, I would cherish being able to stay in practice, and hopefully, I will be able to be of some assistance to others as well.

Oh yeah, my real name is Rick...
---
Sed fugit, interea, fugit tempus
But it flies, meanwhile, time flies -- Vergil

Smythe
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Korudos Alighting

Post by Smythe »

Skylark?

korudos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by korudos »

Hey that was close! Actually, a Crested Lark, as in the the 5th Alaudae, the legion of Gauls raised by J. Caesar.

I am not at all sure of the etymology in Greek, but it seems to sound a lot like κόρος, -υθος, ἡ — helmet.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Welcome back to the fold. Good luck with your finals!
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

korudos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by korudos »

thesaurus wrote:Welcome back to the fold. Good luck with your finals!
Thanks. For this last year, I have routinely spent vastly more time on the two languages than everything else together... like an 8:1 ratio. What a challenge.

And right now, back to my Greek homework. Only two more chapters. whew