Single Word Translation

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
shelbert
Textkit Neophyte

Single Word Translation

Post by shelbert »

I've been trying to figure out the Latin translation for the word "imagine" (as a verb). I came across "somnio," but then I discovered that the definition for "somnio" is "to dream, imagine foolishly."

The meaning of "imagine" that I'm interested is to conceive, imagine all of the posibilities, to dream, but not in a foolish way, in an inspirational way ... if that makes any sense.

If anyone could help me with this, that would be great!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Single Word Translation

Post by adrianus »

Salve, shelbert, et gratus nobis tuus adventus. // Hi, welcome shelbert

"imaginor" = "I imagine", seu "cogitatione fingere", "animo effigere", "imaginem animo concipere" (Ainsworth's dictionary)
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Re: Single Word Translation

Post by Damoetas »

There is also this passage in Livy 9.5.8, where the Roman soldiers who are about to surrender at the Caudine Forks "imagine" or "visualize" the impending scene:

proponere sibimet ipsi ante oculos iugum hostile et ludibria uictoris et uoltus superbos et per armatos inermium iter...
"They pictured to themselves the hostile yoke, the taunts and insulting looks of the victors, their marching disarmed between the armed ranks..."
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?