Pl. Ap. 18d7

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Pl. Ap. 18d7

Post by NateD26 »

I'm having trouble translating ἀξιόω here:

ἀξιώσατε οὖν καὶ ὑμεῖς, ὥσπερ ἐγὼ λέγω, διττούς μου τοὺς κατηγόρους γεγονέναι

Does it mean:

"You too, then, as I say, think it fitting that there are two sets of accusers against me..."

it doesn't sound right, but actual translations, as the 1966 English version, has "bear in mind", which is not exactly close to
the definitions listed on the LSJ for this verb with acc. & inf.
Nate.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Pl. Ap. 18d7

Post by modus.irrealis »

I'm not sure where it fits in the LSJ entry to be honest but ἀξιῶ can mean something like "claim" or maybe even just "think" with accusative and infinitive, e.g.

διὰ ταῦτ’ ἐγὼ τὴν ῥητορικὴν τέχνην ἀξιῶ εἶναι περὶ λόγους (Gorgias 450c)

οὐ δὴ ἀλόγως, ἦν δ’ ἐγώ, ἀξιώσομεν αὐτὰ διττά τε καὶ ἕτερα ἀλλήλων εἶναι (Republic 439d)

Here, I'm not sure there's all that much difference between άξιώσατε and the οἰήθητε that follows. These examples in fact don't seem to be covered by the LSJ entry at all since it only mentions acc. pers[onal] with "think fit." Perhaps the definition "think, deem" includes the acc. + inf. construction as it's a standard construction for verbs of this meaning?

The Jowett translation has "I will ask you then to assume with me".

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Re: Pl. Ap. 18d7

Post by NateD26 »

modus.irrealis wrote: Here, I'm not sure there's all that much difference between άξιώσατε and the οἰήθητε that follows. These examples in fact don't seem to be covered by the LSJ entry at all since it only mentions acc. pers[onal] with "think fit." Perhaps the definition "think, deem" includes the acc. + inf. construction as it's a standard construction for verbs of this meaning?
Thanks, modus. I appreciate your taking the time to find these examples.
And it does seem that both imperatives in this particular sentence convey pretty much
the same meaning of "think, deem"
modus.irrealis wrote: The Jowett translation has "I will ask you then to assume with me".
That one works nicely. :)
Nate.