simonides

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
zagreus
Textkit Neophyte

simonides

Post by zagreus »

Hi there,
Anyone know of an online Greek text of Simonides? I'm especially looking for the greek original of fragment 159.

Thanks very much.

dlb
Textkit Member

Re: simonides

Post by dlb »

I know that you can find Simonides in Ben Hur :roll:
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Post by CanadianGirl »

I know Simonides is on the Net somewhere-about a year ago I printed out a lot of his texts to study. I'll try to find the print-outs & see if the address is on there. Also, you might try the nearest university library-Simonides will be in the Loeb Greek poets . Should be in teh PA--- section, you can just copy it from the Loeb text. hope this helps.

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

To which Simonides are you referring? I'm assuming Simonides of Ceus, but I have not been able to find a fragment of his numbered 159. You can try these texts:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=simonides

zagreus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by zagreus »

CanadianGirl wrote:I know Simonides is on the Net somewhere-about a year ago I printed out a lot of his texts to study. I'll try to find the print-outs & see if the address is on there. Also, you might try the nearest university library-Simonides will be in the Loeb Greek poets . Should be in teh PA--- section, you can just copy it from the Loeb text. hope this helps.
Hope you can find the link for the texts.

As for a library, yes, well, the nearest one is 400 miles away....otherwise I would have gone there & copy'd it...

NateD26
Textkit Zealot

Post by NateD26 »

I've found on the Internet Archive a Latin commentary on Simonides' fragments ,
The fragment is quoted here on page 195.
On the TLF database, I couldn't find fragment 159 under Simonides' sub-database but searching that quote I've found it quoted in
Commentaria In Dionysii Thracis Artem Grammaticam, Scholia Londinensia (partim excerpta ex Heliodoro)
Page 459, line 22

Ἔνιοι δὲ ἐν συλλαβῇ ὑπερβατὸν πεποιήκασιν, ὡς Σιμωνίδης
ἐν ἐπιγράμμασιν <fr. 159 B4> <Ἑρμῆν τόνδ' ἀνέθηκε Δημήτριος ὄρ-
θια δ' οὐχὶ Ἐν προθύροις>, ἀντὶ τοῦ «οὐκ ὄρθια».
Nate.

CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Post by CanadianGirl »

Zagreus-Sorry! I've been rushed since I made that post. I know I have those print-outs-i'm goin gthrough my stuff now-it's stacked up, so i'll see what i can find. He's a very interesting person-or should say-i m interested in the era he lived in. So-talk later. Paige.