Another Sentence- Translation check

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
mountaindew
Textkit Neophyte

Another Sentence- Translation check

Post by mountaindew »

Again, the latin is:
Amori, duro quidem deo, non es vincendus. Natura enim homini animum dedit quo pectus regitur.

I have:

For love, I endure even to God, you must not conquer. He gave animals to man, to which the heart is being ruled (by).

I think I have it for the most part, I just want to double check my work- and parts of the sentence don't make much sense to me. Thanks!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Another Sentence- Translation check

Post by thesaurus »

mountaindew wrote:Again, the latin is:
Amori, duro quidem deo, non es vincendus. Natura enim homini animum dedit quo pectus regitur.

I have:

For love, I endure even to God, you must not conquer. He gave animals to man, to which the heart is being ruled (by).
"You are not to be conquered by love, [who is] certainly a harsh god. For Nature gave man a soul by which his heart is governed."

"amori, duro quidem deo" is the dative of agent with the gerundive "es vincendus." "duro" is the adjective "durus," not a verb. You seem to have let out "natura" in the second sentence. "Animum" is from "animus," which means soul/spirit, not "animal," which would be "animal, animalis, n." "quo" is an ablative of means, referring to the animus, "by which."
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute