Dicere et facere sunt res non eaedem.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Dicere et facere sunt res non eaedem.

Post by Episcopus »

Well, people - that was meant to say "saying and doing are not the same..." It looks dodgy to say the least but "si linguae exercitae sunt, intelligentur bene"...I think (I couldn't say spoken, you know why) Correct as you see fit.

Many people say "I'm going to learn this language and do this language" but in my experience it goes on for a while then the flame extinguished.

It comes at a time when I feel tired but can not give up. It is harder than first thought, especially when the zeal is overshadowed by pure fatigue and school does not include latin - so everything has to be picked out, reviewed, done by me and by my methods. It is very fun but I receive bad feelings when I do no latin in 5 days (like this week) and have insane amounts of coursework.

Then it does not help for example, when I talk to college-educated kids who take half the subjects that I take, latin at the very least 1 hour per night and they come out with random vocabulary unbeknown to me.

Anyhow, I would like to know...after thousands of downloads, how many people have actually stuck with it and completed Latin for Beginners?

Or perhaps Wheelock on your own? Or some course...an aliquod curriculum...

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Well I haven't *finished* Wheelock but am over halfway finished and still going... hoping to finish it by the end of the year, if I am lucky. :)

I have also managed to keep up with my koine since college, which is three years without classes, so that is positive.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Studium vel constitutio non eadem.

Nor is zeal the same thing as constitution.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Slow and steady wins the race, maybe?
I'd think about doing a tiny bit of the language when I'm extremely busy with other stuff. Post a few paradigm, or some new words list on your wall. And recite them in the tiny bit of leisure, if you have any. Continuing how slow it may be is the point, I would say. If you have no such chance just to glance at a wall-post, then recite silently what you had already learned.
A stack of vocabulary cards to carry with you, or of a paradigm, construction, whatever would be a great help in such a case. I'd try making such a stuff another day.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

By the way, "tonsor" is no random word! :evil:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

A Roman would say:

Aliud est dicere et facere. Or: Dicere non idem est atque facere.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I'd have to agree with that "slow and steady" bit..as you've all probably noticed, I've been working at a pace that would shame our friend the tortoise. Put it to my credit, though, that what I have learned, I've remembered...even whether "magna" is Greek or Latin. :D

vinobrien
Textkit Member

Post by vinobrien »

Keep at it boy, you'll do it. Everyone goes through a plateau in a learning a language when the first spark goes, the graft gets in the way of things you have to do and you don't seem to be advancing. Stick in there, you will.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Moerus wrote:A Roman would say:

Aliud est dicere et facere. Or: Dicere non idem est atque facere.
So I guess my guess to be wrong...any one tell me why?

On these forums it makes me feel terrible when I know not how on earth a certain sentence was made. Check the Learning Latin board now - the subject of accusative. How did that come about?

And it's also very difficult when some random guy (yes iste) recommends that my latin book be burned. Funny, then difficult...then it makes me angry.