Textkit Logo

corneō pediculō

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

corneō pediculō

Postby phil » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:53 pm

There is a story I'm reading, and there's a fellow who spurns wealth.

Tōta ēius supellex argentea salīnō ūnō cōnstābat et patellā ad ūsum sacrōrum, quae corneō pediculō sustinēbātur.

All his silverware consisted of just one salt cellar and a dish used for religious rites, which was supported on a little stand made of horn.

Should 'corneō pediculō' be translated as a little stand of horn? My dictionaries only have two definitions for pediculus. (1) louse and (2) little foot.You have no idea how hard it is to think of a horny louse (Hi babe, what's a nice louse like you doing on a scalp like this?) and then discard it from your thoughts. And I can't even imagine what a little foot would be good for. Kicking a little ball?

Cheers
Phil.
phpbb
phil
Textkit Fan

Re: corneō pediculō

Postby adrianus » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:05 pm

phil wrote:little stand made of horn

Seems good to me. You also have "of cornel wood" for "corneus -a -um"
Bonum id mihi videtur. Habes etiam "è materiâ cornûs arboris factus -a -um".
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin