Rosetta Stone

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
misspiggy76
Textkit Neophyte

Rosetta Stone

Post by misspiggy76 »

Hi everyone I'm new :)
I've been learning Latin for a few weeks using William Linney's Getting Started With Latin and am really enjoying it.
I was just wondering if anyone has used the Rosetta Stone Latin programme and whether they found it useful??
Thanx in advance xx :)

Kynetus Valesius
Textkit Fan

Re: Rosetta Stone

Post by Kynetus Valesius »

Hi,

Welcome to our group! Although latin can be frustrating, please stick with it. As a pastime, it will beat overtime collecting refrigerator magnets or train spotting. I've heard pretty good things about Rosetta Stone - though it is kind of pricey. If you are looking for something to supplement your studies with, many people, myself included, recommend Hans Orberg's Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata (2 parts). Instead of either of these, however, my personal favorite introductory course is: Cambridge Latin Course (3 parts). It quite charming, effective, and comes with audio CDs.

misspiggy76
Textkit Neophyte

Post by misspiggy76 »

thanx for your help :) i know rosetta stone can be pricey but as they say "i know a man" :wink: lol i will check out the books you suggested i don't want to give up because i love Latin :P

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

For about a year or so my public library was offering online access to Rosetta Stone for free, and I tried out the Latin part. I really didn't like it. I found it really boring and it seemed like a rehash of what they had for all the other languages, so it was heavily geared towards what I would call "small talk" conversations. I didn't get too far into it, but I got far enough to know that I wouldn't pay for it. You might check your library to see if they either have it or have access to a trial version at least. Obviously different people learn differently, so you might like it.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

Haroldus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Haroldus »

Please check my post in the Open forum for comments on Lingua Latina by Orberg and Rosetta Stone. Also, I recommend you watch you tube video called "STOP...Before you buy ROSETTA STONE...watch this". It's a 4 minute video with mostly positive comments about Rosetta Stone.

kodefishero
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kodefishero »

I own both Lingua Latina and Rosetta Stone, i highly recommend Rosetta Stone if you have the money to spare (I use Lingua Latina when im not next to a computer)