kata to auto - Acts 14.1

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Kasper
Textkit Zealot

kata to auto - Acts 14.1

Post by Kasper »

Hi all,
my apologies for the lack of a greek font, but it's not enabled on this computer.

Briefly, my question concerns the words 'kata to auto' in Acts 14.1; simply put, I can't work out what they are doing there. The relevant part of the sentence reads: E)ge/neto de\ e)n I)koni/wi kata\ to\ au)to\ ei)selqei~n au)tou\s ei)s th\n sunagwgh/n ....

It seems to say that Paul and Barnabas went along 'in the same manner', but the preceding part describes how they were chased out of town. I am assuming they did not arrive at Ikonio while being chased out of town after town.

Admitted the immediately preceding sentence refers to oi( maqhtai/ being filled with the holy spirit, but it doesn't appear to me that this is referring to Paul and Barnabas.

So... what should I make of these words?

As a final thought, does it simply mean they were continuing their journey in the context of all the chapters so far, rather than merely in the context of the immediately preceding episode?

Thank you all in advance,
Kasper

Ps. as a appendix to my final thought - does it refer to their habit of going straight to the synagoge when they entered a new town?
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: kata to auto - Acts 14.1

Post by modus.irrealis »

My NT Greek dictionary has it as meaning "together" here (and quotes from a papyrus that contains a marriage contract "εἶναι ἡμᾶς κατὰ ταὐτὸ"), although it also mentions that it can be "at the same time". The LSJ has those meaning as well. So I guess this is the traditional understanding, but both of these senses seem to be restrictions of a more basic meaning "in the same way (as each other)". I agree with you that it's hard to see that it would mean "in the same way" referring to some other event in the context.

The NIV translates it "as usual", which I guess would be "in the same way (as they would normally do)" but I'm not sure how well supported that is.

GTM
Textkit Member

Post by GTM »

Kasper

You make an interesting observation. I will take a look at it later. I have a class tonight but maybe I will find some time when I Get home.

GTM

GTM
Textkit Member

Post by GTM »

modus.irrealis/ Kasper
My NT Greek dictionary has it as meaning "together" here (and quotes from a papyrus that contains a marriage contract "εἶναι ἡμᾶς κατὰ ταὐτὸ"), although it also mentions that it can be "at the same time".
This is just a thought

Is it possible that this idea in some way speaks of how they accomplished their goal rather than the more casual idea of them entering Iconium together?

GTM

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Modus and GTM,
thank you both for your replies.

I agree with what you have said Modus, although the words seem a little superfluous. But of course, Luke (if he wrote it) would not have anticipated 2000 years of scrutiny of every word he wrote, and I should cut him some slack!

GTM - I'm not sure of the goal you refer to; or do you merely mean their arrival in the town? If so, I'm not clear on how that fits in with kata to auto?

Kasper
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

GTM
Textkit Member

Post by GTM »

Kasper
GTM -

I'm not sure of the goal you refer to; or do you merely mean their arrival in the town? If so, I'm not clear on how that fits in with kata to auto?
The New International seems to capture this idea.

At Iconium Paul and Barnabas went as usual into the Jewish synagogue. There they spoke so effectively that a great number of Jews and Gentiles believed.

It seems as if there was a process when they entered a city or a town. They would first go to the Jewish Synagogue and preach the Gospel there. There goal or purpose would be to continue this practice

GTM